Shutter Speed Photography

Someone838

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
When I put my shutter speed on "blub", leave the shutter open and take pictures of myself in multiple locations during the same shot by covering up the lens while I'm moving, what is that called?

Also, I've noticed that I am very faded in the photographs that come out, is there a good way to fix this? The only way that I have figured out is to use a black background, but if possible I would like to take these kinds of photos outside as well.

Nevermind, I noticed that he used photoshop for those photographs. Is there anyway to do that kind of photography without photoshop?

You can't get around the ghosting doing it the way you want to do it.

The example shown is heavily photoshopped. He's taken multiple shots from exactly the same view point then used one shot ( probably one without him on the frame ) as the background then cut and pasted just the bits of the photo containing him and pasted it into the right part of the background.

There IS a way you could do it without photoshop.. but it would require a lot of cleverness using masks in a dark room ( and of course been taken on film ).

There IS a way you could do it without photoshop.. but it would require a lot of cleverness using masks in a dark room ( and of course been taken on film ).

That's what I was afraid of. I've taken a couple of shots that have turned out really well, but they all had black backgrounds.

I'm thinking I might be able to do it at night also. That's what I'm going to try, but I was hoping there was a way I could do it during the day also.

You could try using a flash, or get someone to turn on a really bright light for a second, that might work, never tried it though

only way I can think of getting it to work with a single exposure would be with a dark room and a black background - or a very very dark night -and a flash with either second shooter or a flash remote.
Setup the camera with bulb shot and take the shot - the black surroundings mean that no light will be getting in so you can move to the location without any ghosting - then fire the flash once to expose yourself on the camera with the light - repeat for other positions then close the shutter.
It will take some experimenting to make sure that the flash power is at the right exposure level for your shots of course.
Outside might be possible, but you will have to have the flash light focused very much on yourself (or have a very distant backdrop) so that you don't get the flash light exposing background areas two or three times over (and thus overexposing).

I'll give some of these ideas a try. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Most reactions

Back