Shy

kotte

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
people03.jpg

beautiful subject. Here are some quick thoughts that raced through my head when i saw the photo. Awkward pose, but that coincides with title - so it maybe the intended effect. I love the tonality and background, i don't mind white blowouts on the skin - it seems to lend itself to the 'awkardness' of the photo.

However, its very hard to tell that she is pulling her hair (a classical 'shyness' trait), rather it looks like she touching her nose. Perhaps try burning the hair in her hand to make it stand out more?

Perhaps I different crop too? I am not sure how though.

I am guessing this is not setup shot? I like her coy expression but if you were to take the shot over again:

- position her hand away from the nose.. perhaps closer to her mouth
- to make the hair stand out more perhaps you get her to hold the hair between a few fingers instead of the bottom of fist?
- have a few stands of hair run over her forehead - the hair covering the face is a classic 'shy look' :)

If you have any other shots from this series i would love to see them. I really dig the black and white, also the grain here looks good :)

Great stuff, reminds me of a portrait I personally did where the hands played a major role close to the face. The crop is a little tight, I would have liked to see a little more head on Her expression is very interesting, I imagine the smirk is at you for taking the picture.

Getting back to the hand, I like hands in portrait shots, I'm not sure why. In this case though, the hand doesn't look like it's hers. I would consider that a minor detail, the angle could just be strange on it. Overall, great shot, a nice tight portrait. If you did it in the darkroom, good job on making a nice print (the hair on the left is a little blown out, but I don't nitpick at such things). If you did this digitally, then good job on making it look like film :p

Thank you for your comments.

It was a "grab" shot on film. There was really no intention behind the shot but when I got it back from the lab I noticed some nice things about it.

But I realize the awkward parts...

Most reactions

Back