Photos OK to edit
C&C always welcome!

DSC_0044-1.jpg

#2 (my favorite of the bunch)
DSC_0047-1.jpg

#3 (my fave of the boy)
DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

#5 (The girl is a little out focus. My apeture wasn't open enough. I corrected, but I still like this shot because it's the only one where her foot doesn't completely cover his face for this pose.)
DSC_0014.jpg

These children are my children's best friends. The boy is right in between our three boys age wise and the girl is a month younger than my daughter. I had a hard time getting a nice face from the boy because he kept making these weird faces with his mouth stretched funny.:lmao:

Well, the fourth photo here cannot have been very crisp ever. It has too clear signs of camera shake. It will never be totally sharp and has never been totally sharp.

That said, I think you did really well here, they are adorable chlidren and you got some nice expressions out of them. Pity the girl is having this irritable skin ... my son was the same when he was little (and still is the same today, for that matter).

Well, the fourth photo here cannot have been very crisp ever. It has too clear signs of camera shake. It will never be totally sharp and has never been totally sharp.

That said, I think you did really well here, they are adorable chlidren and you got some nice expressions out of them. Pity the girl is having this irritable skin ... my son was the same when he was little (and still is the same today, for that matter).

Thank you. It is too bad about her skin. :( It's so rough. I feel badly for her.

Hi Lacey, I think all it really is, is a white balance issue. Seems you have two separate kinds of light in the photo. One looks very tungsten (in the front), and very floresent (in the back).
Could you explain how you set up the shot? What kind of light were you using?
It's nothing that can't be fixed though.

Hi Lacey, I think all it really is, is a white balance issue. Seems you have two separate kinds of light in the photo. One looks very tungsten (in the front), and very floresent (in the back).
Could you explain how you set up the shot? What kind of light were you using?
It's nothing that can't be fixed though.
I'm using natural light from a window, a reflector and a bounced, diffused flash.

Hmm, weird. And no other light sources? Did you gel your flash?

Would it be ok it I tried to work with one of the photos?

Yes, there is certainly something weird going on with the color/white balance. Some of them look quite off...but as a group, they are all over the map.

I think part of the problem is that cloudy daylight isn't the same color temp as flash (flash is balanced for sunny daylight). There might be other causes...but it's hard to tell.

Yes, there is certainly something weird going on with the color/white balance. Some of them look quite off...but as a group, they are all over the map.

I think part of the problem is that cloudy daylight isn't the same color temp as flash (flash is balanced for sunny daylight). There might be other causes...but it's hard to tell.
They are and I don't know why. I'm going to have to play around today and see if I can't figure it out. My children will have to be my victims again.

Hey Mike, I didn't think about that, but I think you have to be right.

Lacey, my 'puter is running an export at the moment, but as soon as it finishes, I'll work on that first photo and tell you what I've done.
From the looks of it, I'm going to have to do two exposures/wb and merge them.

Hey Mike, I didn't think about that, but I think you have to be right.

Lacey, my 'puter is running an export at the moment, but as soon as it finishes, I'll work on that first photo and tell you what I've done.
From the looks of it, I'm going to have to do two exposures/wb and merge them.
Thanks!

Hi Lacey,
No. Now it's really yellow with a green tint. Do you calibrate? I've seen your other work, and it doesn't have these problems. I think Mike is right about the light issue.

Hi Lacey,
No. Now it's really yellow with a green tint. Do you calibrate? I've seen your other work, and it doesn't have these problems. I think Mike is right about the light issue.
lol, I saw that as soon as I posted it so I deleted it! I'm going in April to buy studio lighting so I *shouldn't* have to worry about the weather affecting my light anymore. Still... How should I have calibrated for this? Should I change it every time a cloud moves?? :blushing:

No. Hehe. I meant calibration for your monitor.

What Mike said is totally right. Your lights need to be more powerful than the sunlight. That way, the sun, or lack of it, doesn't factor into the equation.
I love natural light, but it's a tricky little bear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back