Sick Computer Blues

Fangman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My faithful G4 Mac is suffering from power supply problems having served me for over 8 years. Just ordered a new iMac so will have to try and remember where I have hidden all those installer discs and registration numbers before the tedious task of getting everything loaded.

Have everything backed up, but with new operating system to get used to as well as some old favourites that are sure not to work i am not a happy bunny! Main worry is the printer drivers for the old Epson 1290 and HP laser of similar vintage . . . keep your fingers crossed for me.

It is amazing how many programmes one collects over the years - some going back to the first Mac and then Mac plus - via SE20 and 30 . . .more years that some of you lot have been born!

"I feel your pain", Fangman! Hope all goes well with the reinstalls.

If you have firewire or ethernet on your old Mac just link it to the new one and you will get the option to transfer everything over when you first start it up.
And you'll love the new shiny screen iMacs. I just got one because I've destroyed my titanium Mac lap-top, my old iMac can't run Aperture, and my two even older Macs (one is a PowerMac 8600) don't have monitors.
The shiny screen actually improves image contrast just like a glossy print.

good luck that you get a smoothly running system quickly!

what ever hassle you face, it will be worth its weight in gold. Congrats on the nice new rig

Yayyyy!! Brought my new Mac home, plugged it in, and came online. So far, so good!!!

Yay congrats Antarctican!

Sorry Fangman about your computer blues but also congrats on the new computer heading your way :)

I had my hesitations about making the switch several years ago, but let me tell you, it is so invigorating to finally get off of Uncle Bill's teet

Heehee, now it's all the little things I can't do the way I'm used to doing it (copy, paste, expand screen etc) that are a bit frustrating. But I'm sure I'll figure it all out.

For 'copy' highlight what you want, then press Command (button to left and right of space marked 'cmd') + C
To paste put cursor where you need it and Command + V

Command + N in a program opens a new page or window.

Use Apple Help to find all the other shortcuts.

will get two new harddrives tomorrow .... one will be the system disk so i will reinstall it all ... so if you never hear of me again, you know why ;)

For 'copy' highlight what you want, then press Command (button to left and right of space marked 'cmd') + C
To paste put cursor where you need it and Command + V

Command + N in a program opens a new page or window.

Use Apple Help to find all the other shortcuts.
I tried Command C when Control C didn't work, and for some reason it didn't work either (must have flubbed it somehow). So I went to Help and it gave me the Edit-copy, Edit-paste version. Thanks for the keyboard shortcuts, as that's what I prefer. But I don't wanna use up any freebie advice on small stuff like this...I'll save it for the big stuff. Like trying to get my iTunes library moved. Am looking into that now. Fun n games!

Go to "options" or "system preferences" then "Keyboard or mouse" then check off "For secondary clicks, place two fingers on teh trackpad then click the button"

Now just it out. put two fingers on teh keyboard (like you are scrolling) then click the button, it is the same as right clicking)

get you a nice wireless mouse (i like logitech) and you have the right click right on your mouse, just like a PC. It helps the transition for a new user and it will feel a little more normal.

or not lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back