Sickley sweet still life

tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Really not my usual type of thing, Faux flower lighting experiment...

lightsource1.jpg

A little photoshop desaturating from a subject for another seriese. Please be really really brutal :). Not sure what i think of it.

thanks for looking

tim

Technically I find it very nice. I specially like the overall tone. The subject matter is kinda meh.
The only thing that bother me is that one... fascet? of the ... bead? that reflects light. It stands out a lot without adding to the image.

The subject matter is kinda meh.
The only thing that bother me is that one... fascet? of the ... bead? that reflects light. It stands out a lot without adding to the image.

Cool, definatly meh :), couldnt agree more, suprising it is tech ok, there is something irritating about it for me clutter maybe but i just dont know what, as there is also something ok i think, ever had that feeling?

There was one with less bead flare, but there were other things that put me off it, and i thought it sort of ended up in that 2/5ths place? I should probably take it out a bit in PS and see if it helps. Thanks for the comments.

tim

It's kind of abstract, so for me the composition is ok.

I think it could use about +1ev. The main subject looks underexposed. You have direct lighting coming in from the right hand side with two hot spots. Maybe try lighting from more above, with a reflector below. Also, make sure that you are diffusing your main light to help eliminate hot spots.

There's a lot of detail in the wings, and I think it's worth a reshoot to really bring out the detail.

Many thanks fo rhte good advice woodsack, This picture was a bit of a side effect from another sereise where i had been projecting a flower shaped pattern from a light through a peice of card with a hole in it and a magnifying glass, it is the only way i have found to really controll the shape of the shadows in macro work as the lights have to be too small otherwise. In this shot the flower was out of focus so you cant really see the affect, but i sort of liked the shot for other unknown reasons (I have changed my mind now :) ). I should have lit the butterfly better, there was a halogen and a led on it, but i had to avoid lighting the background and it was getting a bit cramped, i will take your advice next time as especially with the hotspots. and it is about time i took more care over that.

lightsetup.jpg

P.S. I really like the wideangle shots you have been taking recently , just didnt comment as there were so many otehrs, so just keep them comming :).

tim

Most reactions

New Topics

Back