Side/hand strap?

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I just got a battery grip for my Canon 80D and noticed it has a strap mount on it. Looks like it's in the perfect spot for a hand strap. Souths you recommend this over say a black rapid strap? And if so, what brand? Are there some that are multi use like say convert hand strap to neck strap?

I've got a hand strap but don't use it much. Never seen one that converts to a neck strap. That would require too much strap to be convenient. Only time I use mine is when shooting certain events.

Found the one I have. OP/TECH USA Grip Strap 6701242 B&H Photo Video
Comfortable to wear. I did modify it to accept an Arca-swiss plate to attach to the bottom of the camera so it is aways tripod ready.

When I first moved up to a DSLR, the used 30D I bought on ebay came with a grip and a Canon handstrap. With the EF-S 18-135 on the camera, it was as perfectly balanced as I've ever encountered starting with my first 35mm SLR about 1972 or so. So, as I upgraded first to a 60D and then a 5Diii, the handstrap is a requirement for me. The large majority of the time, that's all I use. I started with a now discontinued Canon hand strap and have transferred it from camera to camera.

I also set up my cameras with an Opt-Tech shoulder strap that I sometimes add...not for use as a shoulder strap but as a hand & wrist wrap that I manage to 'lock' in place with my little pinky and the camera cannot be pulled, dropped, or shaken out of my hand, even with palm open. For those times when I know I'll be carrying the camera for an extended period (city scapes, etc), it saves my hand from getting cramps trying to hang on to it all the time.

A hand strap seems like a real wrist breaker for me. I'll stick to slings.

About the only time I use one is for event shoots. For me it can come in handy then.

Most reactions

Back