Sigma 100-300 f4 and inside theater

dgore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Need info on this lense. My daughter performs ballet in a theater. Would this lense be sufficient to take pictures of her on the stage, which is well lit, without a flash? Camera and lens would be on a tripod.

Also I would like suggestions for ISO, Shutter speed, & Aperature to do this?

Welcome to the forum.

I hadn't heard much about that lens...but after a quick search...people seem to like it. It is said to be big and heavy...so having it on a tripod will be the way to go.

Also I would like suggestions for ISO, Shutter speed, & Aperture to do this?
There is no way for us to know...it will depend on the light that you have to work with.

The priority, I'm thinking, will be to get sharp shots...and since she will be moving around...you will need a fast shutter speed. 1/125 may suffice...1/250 would be better and 1/500 should freeze most motion....but will there be enough light for that?

I'd suggest that you use aperture priority mode at set it to F4 (or one stop smaller just because most lenses aren't all that sharp wide open)...then adjust the ISO (if you are shooting digital) to get the shutter speed you want (or can get). You will have to find your happy medium between a faster shutter speed...and the digital noise (or film grain) that comes with higher ISO settings.

Also...take care with your meter readings...if there is only a few bright spots in a dark scene...the camera's meter may be fooled.

Speaking from past experience that lens may not be "bright" enough for a theater. You mention it is well lit, so it may not matter, but I've been burned by stages I thought were well lit. As Big Mike mentioned sharp shots are the goal so a brighter lens will allow you a faster shutter speed. I'd say go with 400 ISO but as Big Mike mentioned it all depends on what you find when you get there. I sometimes have noise trouble above 400 so I try and stay low on the ISO. Any chance you can do a dry run during a practice sesson?

I would suggest something like the 2.8 80-200 nikon, but I don't know what you shoot with. They're not too hard to find on the cheap (less than $400) and it's a much better lens IMO.

I would also suggest you have something in your bag like a 50mm 1.8 - it's cheap and the low light performance is simply unreal... and it's cheap too! :wink:

if its a rehearsal or if permitted use flash, what appears well lit to the eye is usually dull as dishwater to your cameras metering system, flash will freeze all action and you can keep a low iso setting eliminating noise

dewey said:
I would suggest something like the 2.8 80-200 nikon, but I don't know what you shoot with. They're not too hard to find on the cheap (less than $400) and it's a much better lens IMO.

Where are you finding them for under $400? Ebay?

F4 is pushing it, but it can be done.

As a pretest I would take 4-5 spot readings of the lit stage and average them. Then I would matrix meter off of a closely cropped lit stage. If I were off by 1/3 stop or more I would adjust the SLR over/under expose accordingly.

Next I would set ISO at 400 and see if I could get 1/250 @ F8.0. If not I'd try 1/250 @ F5.6. If not again I'd try 1/125 at F5.6, then 1/60 at F5.6 and finally 1/60 @ F4.0. Beyond that and I think you are wasting your time.

If I was using film I would shoot 800 speed and do everything else the same.

If you can get F5.6-F8.0 then you can use mirror lockup and just prefocus. Much quieter.

LWW

Most reactions

New Topics

Back