Sigma 120-400mm 4.5-5.6 vs Tamron 150-600mm 5-6.3

Everett1971

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. I have been doing a fair bit of bird and general nature photography this year. I currently use a Canon 70D and a Sigma 120-400mm 4.5-5.6 when looking for birds and wildlife. Sometimes I really see the limitations of 400mm (which depending on factors such as f-stop, weather etc can be a little soft and 'short' distance wise). I just ordered the new Tamron 150-600mm. It has pretty good reviews so I thought I would give it a try. Just wondering if others here think this is a worthwhile step or not. I have some money but not to get a real nice expensive 500mm prime.... Views anyone? Thanks in advance, Everett

Tamron 150-600 has some good reviews and I've seen shots taken with it. It's pretty decent for the price though as with most super zooms it's a little soft at max zoom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes I really see the limitations of 400mm (which depending on factors such as f-stop, weather etc can be a little soft and 'short' distance wise). I just ordered the new Tamron 150-600mm. It has pretty good reviews so I thought I would give it a try. Just wondering if others here think this is a worthwhile step or not.

the Tamron offers 600mm at 6.3.

That's 200mm more reach with only a penalty of 1/3 of a stop of light over your 400mm 5.6.

That Tamron was/is a game changer.

Yeah I'd have to agree. Its a little soft, as I can barely make out the band on his ankle :biglaugh:

Hey Coastalcon- if those shot's were at 600mm then I am not too concerned about the softness at max zoom. I think I just over worry when making purchases. In this case, moving from the sigma 120-400 to the Tamron. I was concerned that it might not be enough of a step up...

Depending on the viewing device that is used to view the image ... it's easier to get away with softness looking at a 15' or 17' monitor and more so on a mobile device. Best way to tell is to compare two lenses for example the nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR and the Tamrom 150-600, both at max zoom and taking the same image filling up the viewfinder with no pp sharpening. I'm not saying it's a bad lens, I want one myself, I'm saying it's soft at max zoom. The softness is even more pronounced at low light condition. With good lighting even a kit lens produces decent images.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have seen coastalconn do with his Tamron 150-600, I'm sold on the Tamron.

Most reactions

Back