Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD (OMG IRL GR8 VBG)

TheLost

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought a used copy of this lens a few years ago then 'flipped' it a few months later. I decided to buy it again a few days ago but finally got a chance to take it out of the box last night and play with it for a few minutes..

It passed the 'Auto Focus puppy test' with flying colors.. I've always liked Sigmas HSM AF speed. This one kept up with my puppy without issue (granted... English Bulldogs aren't known for their speed).

kevin-run.jpg

( D7100| 1/5000 sec | f/3.5 | ISO 320 @ 50mm)

Other then puppy shots i only did some focus tests (something you always want to do when buying a new Sigma lens :) ). Just like my last copy it seems nice and sharp. I'm not sure why the bokeh in the image above is so bad, maybe the harsh afternoon light and my random camera settings.. I'll post some other pictures that show its not that horrible when i get home (don't judge it from that picture :) ).

It's a lens i don't really need... but regretted selling. Besides... buying another DX lens will guarantee Nikon to release a D800 upgrade i won't be able to resist :)

So, the autofocus puppy test.. meaning the autofocus is so good your dog took this and it's actually a selfie? Lol

Well this actually helps quite a bit, I've been seriously considering picking one of these up myself and I've been looking at both it and the Tamron with VC. Like you I doubt the lens itself will see a tremendous amount of use, but I will be needing something in the wide angle zoom on occasion and I'm really liking what I'm seeing thus far - I mean if your bulldog can get selfies this good maybe even a schmo like me can use one.

So, the autofocus puppy test.. meaning the autofocus is so good your dog took this and it's actually a selfie? Lol

Close.. the idea is to get down on the ground in front of the dog, frame the shot, focus, take the picture and get out of the way before you get plowed into and break your camera (37lb of wrinkles can do a lot of damage :) )

It's an impressive lens.. I normally am a 'used lens' kind of guy (aka.. cheep) but i don't have any regrets buying this one new. My 50mm prime will probably get some dust on it :)

Close.. the idea is to get down on the ground in front of the dog, frame the shot, focus, take the picture and get out of the way before you get plowed into and break your camera (37lb of wrinkles can do a lot of damage :) )

It's an impressive lens.. I normally am a 'used lens' kind of guy (aka.. cheep) but i don't have any regrets buying this one new. My 50mm prime will probably get some dust on it :)

I'm a used lens fan myself - much in the same way I like used cars. Let somebody else pay for the immediate depreciation in value, I don't need that "new lens" smell. Lol. The only lens I bought new was the 85 mm prime, and the only reason I did is because I couldn't find a used one. If I do end up going with the Sigma, which is pretty likely, at least from what I'm seeing I'll probably need to get a new one as well - not finding them used.

I need to go test out that sigma 17-50, I went up to my LCS thinking they had it in stock and was full set on wanting to like it and take it home but of course they didn't have it. I need to figure out how to replace my 18-140, DXO seems to really like the Sigma 17-50 and the Sigma 50-150. I am debating on that route or the (name your brand) 24-70+70-200. Ever since I bought my Tokina 11-16 2.8, I have been dreaming of 2.8 through my entire focal range, sigh... Come on Tax Man...

I need to go test out that sigma 17-50, I went up to my LCS thinking they had it in stock and was full set on wanting to like it and take it home but of course they didn't have it. I need to figure out how to replace my 18-140, DXO seems to really like the Sigma 17-50 and the Sigma 50-150. I am debating on that route or the (name your brand) 24-70+70-200. Ever since I bought my Tokina 11-16 2.8, I have been dreaming of 2.8 through my entire focal range, sigh... Come on Tax Man...

I got a used Sigma 70-200 mm with OS - one of the best investments I've made recently. Love that lens, and man throw a 2x teleconverter on there and you've got 140-400 mm at F/5.6 with no appreciable loss in IQ - well, at least using the sigma 2x teleconverter with it. Makes it extremely versatile and all I need is a really light and easy to carry TC intead of another lens. I've got the 85 and 50 mm F/1.8 and the last thing on my list (at least for now) is either a Sigma 17-50 or Tamron 17-50 F/2.8. I haven't found a used Sigma yet and I really don't want to pay full price for one, so I might try out the Tamron and give it a go since it's not a lens I'll be getting a ton of use out of, it's one I'd just be using it occasionally. From what i've read the IQ is pretty good on both.

I got a used Sigma 70-200 mm with OS - one of the best investments I've made recently. Love that lens, and man throw a 2x teleconverter on there and you've got 140-400 mm at F/5.6 with no appreciable loss in IQ - well, at least using the sigma 2x teleconverter with it. Makes it extremely versatile and all I need is a really light and easy to carry TC intead of another lens. I've got the 85 and 50 mm F/1.8 and the last thing on my list (at least for now) is either a Sigma 17-50 or Tamron 17-50 F/2.8. I haven't found a used Sigma yet and I really don't want to pay full price for one, so I might try out the Tamron and give it a go since it's not a lens I'll be getting a ton of use out of, it's one I'd just be using it occasionally. From what i've read the IQ is pretty good on both.

Yeah everything I have read on both is good too other than some QC problems with Sigma in general. I have seen some of your photos with the 70-200 and it looks great. My LCS has the tamron 17-50 and I have taken some test pictures with it but until I can compare it to the sigma 17-50 I won't bite. They apparently don't have any sigma 17-50s at all and said it will take a couple weeks to order them from manufacturer... I'm going to the Cincinnati zoo this weekend and am going to take the 18-140 so hopefully its sunny out.

I haven't had time to play with my Sigma 17-50 much... but i REALLY like it. The build quality is great and the size & weight is a great fit for the D7100.

I need to figure out how to replace my 18-140, DXO seems to really like the Sigma 17-50 and the Sigma 50-150. I am debating on that route or the (name your brand) 24-70+70-200. Ever since I bought my Tokina 11-16 2.8, I have been dreaming of 2.8 through my entire focal range, sigh... Come on Tax Man...

I'd think hard about that 50-150... for the same price you can get a 70-200 that will work on full frame (either Sigma or a used Nikon). I had the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for a few years and got some great shots with it. I've since upgraded to the Nikon... but for the price (used) the Sigma isn't bad (i'd still recommend a used Nikon 70-200 over it :) ).

Yeah everything I have read on both is good too other than some QC problems with Sigma in general. I have seen some of your photos with the 70-200 and it looks great. My LCS has the tamron 17-50 and I have taken some test pictures with it but until I can compare it to the sigma 17-50 I won't bite. They apparently don't have any sigma 17-50s at all and said it will take a couple weeks to order them from manufacturer... I'm going to the Cincinnati zoo this weekend and am going to take the 18-140 so hopefully its sunny out.

Older model Tamron's are HORRIBLY slow to focus.. the Tamron 17-50 falls into that category (along with the older model 70-200). I tried to shoot an indoor basketball game with the Tamron and it was un-usable. Very slow and hunted for focus in a well lit gym. It's cheaper then the Sigma.... for a reason. A better option would be the older NON OS Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 if you can find it.

I haven't had time to play with my Sigma 17-50 much... but i REALLY like it. The build quality is great and the size & weight is a great fit for the D7100.

I need to figure out how to replace my 18-140, DXO seems to really like the Sigma 17-50 and the Sigma 50-150. I am debating on that route or the (name your brand) 24-70+70-200. Ever since I bought my Tokina 11-16 2.8, I have been dreaming of 2.8 through my entire focal range, sigh... Come on Tax Man...

I'd think hard about that 50-150... for the same price you can get a 70-200 that will work on full frame (either Sigma or a used Nikon). I had the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for a few years and got some great shots with it. I've since upgraded to the Nikon... but for the price (used) the Sigma isn't bad (i'd still recommend a used Nikon 70-200 over it :) ).

Older model Tamron's are HORRIBLY slow to focus.. the Tamron 17-50 falls into that category (along with the older model 70-200). I tried to shoot an indoor basketball game with the Tamron and it was un-usable. Very slow and hunted for focus in a well lit gym. It's cheaper then the Sigma.... for a reason. A better option would be the older NON OS Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 if you can find it.

I have been deliberating this with myself for a while now and I have been thinking instead of replacing my 18-140, I will keep it and save for the Nikon 70-200. Problem is spending that much on the 2.8. Even used its gotta still be around 2000 right? I'd probably be plenty happy with the F/4 version

I have been deliberating this with myself for a while now and I have been thinking instead of replacing my 18-140, I will keep it and save for the Nikon 70-200. Problem is spending that much on the 2.8. Even used its gotta still be around 2000 right? I'd probably be plenty happy with the F/4 version

You can pick up a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 for ~$1200 used in excellent condition.

You can pick up a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR1 for ~$1200 used in excellent condition.

Coincidentally, you can by both a Sigma and Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 for ~$1200, new, in excellent condition as well.

LOL I have so had this happen. With our dog, it's a take the picture and get out of the way before he licks the lens and I end up with a very close up of his tongue.

Great picture and really cute dog.

I understood the OMG, IRL, GR8, but what is VBG? "Veritable Bulldog Getter"?

I'm a used lens fan myself - much in the same way I like used cars. Let somebody else pay for the immediate depreciation in value, I don't need that "new lens" smell. Lol. The only lens I bought new was the 85 mm prime, and the only reason I did is because I couldn't find a used one. If I do end up going with the Sigma, which is pretty likely, at least from what I'm seeing I'll probably need to get a new one as well - not finding them used.

I bought my 55-300 mm when I bought the D5100......got the 18-55 as a kit lens, and got my 18-140 as a kit lens with my D7100. I only took the 18-140 kit lens because it was only a hundred dollars more or so to get the kit lens as opposed to the body only. I also purchased a new 50 mm 1.8G Prime because I got a good price on it for shooting indoors with not much light. I also bought a USA version of the D7100 because I didn't want the imported version with no warranty and a polycarbonate body instead of an alloy body. The USA D7100 is more moisture proof also. But as a rule, when I start buying the new lenses I really want, I am going to buy used.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back