Sigma 17-70mm F2.8 - 4 DC Marco OS HSM

Bukitimah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
razzi.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry, I did not search the thread if anyone else has asked this question before. I owned the 18-105 mm VR kit lens and I have another 70-300 mm VR lens. Would it be better if I change my 18-105 mm with the above lens?

I am looking at this because this lens is 'faster' and has almost the same wide angle. Although the zoom is reduced, 70 mm sound reasonable. Not too sure about the macro but I don't think it can achieve 1:1 but I do own a Raynox.

Any advice?

I just picked up the Sigma. I really like it. I've owned nearly all the wide/mid zooms and I believe it to be the best overall when factoring in price.
It's OS works. The HSM won't allow on the go manual focus but is fairly quick and accurate. It's build is decent. The F4 aperture at 70mm is useful for
on the fly head/shoulder shots. The close focus is convenient. Jack of all trades and master of none.

That said, will you see a drastic improvement? Maybe not. The 18-105 is at the most a stop slower across the range and I was never disappointed with it's performance.
Yet, I do believe the 17-70 to be slightly better across the board.

Tough call.

Most reactions

Back