Sigma 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

Smokeyr67

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

whilst I'd love to be able to afford a Canon 24 - 70 f 2.8, I cant.

I can get my hands on a brand new Sigma 24-70 for $650, and I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this lens?

All opinions good and bad are very welcome.

Shane

I am in your shoes, I would love to own a 24-70mm 2.8 but cant afford it, the Sigma is a good lens and cost so much less then the Canon or Nikon eqivalent but here is the bad news, this lens is simply not as sharp as the Nikon, Canon or Tamron.
I decided to wait and get either the Nikon or Tamron 24-70mm 2.8
I think if I want to get a pro lens then I want pro results, the reviews are all simply not very impressed with this lens sharpness and really thats what I am looking for.
Yes its fast and if fast lens is more imprtant for you then getting a sharp picture then by all means get the Sigma but thats how I feel about it.

Yep, theres a trade off for saving $2000:)

I wish I could rent one for a weekend, to see how useable it is, but unfortunately noone in my area has one for rent.

I've seen great reviews and shockers for this lens, I suppose it depends on the bias of the reviewer and where they're coming from.

Shane

Not a saving of 2000$

I believe bothNikon and Canon 24-70mm 2.8 are around the 1800$+tax new and in some places they are cheaper.
You can get them used for less then 1400$
The Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 will cost you around 1000$ on ebay.

If 28 is wide enough Tamron do a well reviewed 28-75 f2.8 which is more affordable

No not $2000, I can get the Sigma for $650, and the Canon for $2329:) I prefer comparing apples to apples, both new prices.

I'm considering the Tamron, seems like a great lens, but with the extra $350 or so I could buy a nice monopod with head, + a CP filter.

I wish I was rich:)

Not a saving of 2000$

I believe bothNikon and Canon 24-70mm 2.8 are around the 1800$+tax new and in some places they are cheaper.
You can get them used for less then 1400$
The Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 will cost you around 1000$ on ebay.

Actually the new 24 70 is around 2100. There are some old 24 70 coming up when you search it. You would be hard pressed to find it for under 2k from a reputable dealer.

If you have a crop sensor my advice would be to bypass all mentioned and go with the canon 17-55 2.8. You give up a little focal length but you won't be giving up on sharpness. That's a fantastic lens. Don't let the lack of a red stripe fool you. I would still be using mine if I had not gone full frame.

No not $2000, I can get the Sigma for $650, and the Canon for $2329:) I prefer comparing apples to apples, both new prices.

I'm considering the Tamron, seems like a great lens, but with the extra $350 or so I could buy a nice monopod with head, + a CP filter.

I wish I was rich:)

Been spending some time now reading about the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC.
While not as sharp as the Canon or Nikon lens it is very, very close in sharpness and with its VC and overall performance that is the lens I would go for.
Well worth a tripod in my eyes, invest once in good glass.
I hope in the future to get the Tamron.

Thanks for all the help guys, I think the wallet is going to win this argument and the Sigma will be in my kit very soon.

It would be a different case if I was making money instead of spending money on photography, but some times I have to reign myself in and remember that I'm a mug photographer and a $2000 lens won't help me anymore than a $200 lens:)

Most reactions

Back