Sigma 24-70 mm 2.8 or sigma 70-200?

iryna83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I started to do some photography. Did a few baby photosessions, a few birthday parties. I am looking to buy a new lens for my nikon D7000 and it is hard to deside which one to take:( I was thinking about Sigma 24-70mm or 70-200mm? Please help!!!!!!! Right now I have nikon 18-200 mm 3.5-5.6 but for some reason it cannot find find focus somethimes and I also have nikon 50mm 1.8G. Thank you.

Hi, I started to do some photography. Did a few baby photosessions, a few birthday parties. I am looking to buy a new lens for my nikon D7000 and it is hard to deside which one to take:( I was thinking about Sigma 24-70mm or 70-200mm? Please help!!!!!!! Right now I have nikon 18-200 mm 3.5-5.6 but for some reason it cannot find find focus somethimes and I also have nikon 50mm 1.8G. Thank you.

Two entirely different focal lengths that have entirely different uses ( yes some will over lap) Whatever length you use now the most, buy it.

Its like asking should I buy a family car or a pick up truck.

If you tell us what lenses you already have maybe we can help a bit more.

Are the baby sessions and bday parties what you are mostly doing? If they are all indoor, I would consider the 24-70, but the 70-200 is used a lot for portraits by professionals. I rented a 24-70 for my canon to do a senior portrait session that was outside and like the results.

Are the baby sessions and bday parties what you are mostly doing? If they are all indoor, I would consider the 24-70, but the 70-200 is used a lot for portraits by professionals. I rented a 24-70 for my canon to do a senior portrait session that was outside and like the results.

Yes mostly indoor, but I also take outdoor when weather is nice. I like my nikon 50 mm 1.8 G, but it is fixed, I want something with wide aperture and able to zoom in and out.

I have a 1980s Sigma 70-150 for an older canon camera, and i have had some success using it for portraits - Needs more light indoors than my 50mm does, though.

Try this. Focusing problems are usually more to do with the photographer or scene than the lens. What equipment to get should be your decision. You have to figure out your vision and the tool you need to achieve that. My article only offers an approach.

Most reactions

Back