Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM advise/input

Texas Parrothead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am seriously thinking about picking up the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM. I love my current 2.8's from sigma and find that my 17-50 lives on my camera for in-house pictures of the kids. Like I said, I love both of these lenses but find that the 17-50 isn't long enough for getting in closer to the kids and the 70-200 is just too long indoors. I think the 24-70 would be a great solution and i would keep the 17-50 for situations where I want to go wider. I find my shoot style is to get in close. i just like the feel it gives, it seems more personal. My concern is if the Sigma 24-70mm HSM is going to be as good for IQ as my current ones. Does anyone have experience with these lenses and can you compare the IQ of them. Will I be equally please with the 24-70? I just can't swing the Nikon version but also am pretty picky about getting sharp images. Thanks in advance!

Ok to confuse myself i have gone out and found some additional information. I am hearing that the older version of this lens (Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro) is actually a sharper lens compared to the newer HSM model. So, does anyone have experience with the older model and possible the new HSM as well. If you could let me know your thoughts on the sharpness of this lens that would be great! I would primarily be using it wide open shooting pics of fast moving kids. Here are my list of possible lenses: Sigma 24-70m f2.8 HSM; Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro; Tamron 28-75mm f2.8; Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 It is all about image sharpness wide open for me!

I love my Nikon 24-70 indoors. Sharp from 24-70, and at f/2.8

I bet! I wish I could afford the Nikon 24-70! How are the following?: Sigma 24-70m f2.8 HSM; Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro; Tamron 28-75mm f2.8; Nikon 28-70mm f2.8 It is all about image sharpness wide open for me!

Sigma 24-70 2.8 HSM is my fastest and sharpest lens. The autofocus doesn't spend any time searching like my 70-200 does. But I think the consensus with Sigma is that you have the luck of the draw on getting a good copy. I either lucked out, or this is a good lens!

Inmy experience the 17-50mm is slightly sharper wide open, but the 24-70mm has a far more useful focal range.

2WheelPhoto - thanks! that is an awesome site! I had not seen that one before and found it extremely useful.

Well I found a copy of the older macro (non HSM) version on e-bay for $399.00 (free shipping). The store selling it rates it in perfect optical condition and 9.5 out of 10 for the exterior condition of the barrel. I get a 2 week period to try it and return it for any reason for a full refund (no restocking fee). Hoping it is a good copy! Thanks to all for your help!

So the new to me (used) Sigma 24-70mm EX DG Macro showed up on Saturday and i must say I was disappointed. It was just way too soft wide open and i found i had to stop down to about F8 outside in daylight to get results I was looking for. Plus the zoom ring had some excessive play in the ring that I have never had with any other lens. So back it went this morning for a full refund. This means i will soon have some money burning a whole in my pocket and am hopeful that somehow/someway i might be able to swing buying a grey market or refurbished Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 for about $1600. Wish me luck!!!!

So the new to me (used) Sigma 24-70mm EX DG Macro showed up on Saturday and i must say I was disappointed. It was just way too soft wide open and i found i had to stop down to about F8 outside in daylight to get results I was looking for. Plus the zoom ring had some excessive play in the ring that I have never had with any other lens. So back it went this morning for a full refund. This means i will soon have some money burning a whole in my pocket and am hopeful that somehow/someway i might be able to swing buying a grey market or refurbished Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 for about $1600. Wish me luck!!!!

Even the new price has decreased on that lens compare to what it was when I bought mine...good luck
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

Back