Sigma 28mm f1.8 or 30mm f1.4?

Which short prime lens would you buy?

• Total voters
Here are some sample shots of my daughter at various aperture. The lens is now off my hands RMA'ing back to Amazon. I am now patiently awaiting Adorama to contact me about their pairing service. They will pair their new Sigma lens with their stock T2i so that I will have a good chance at finding problem free lens the first time. Since Sigma 30 is now back in stock, I should get a phone call soon. I will report on my experience with Adorama service once I receive my next 30mm.

$IMG_4423.JPG$IMG_4429.JPG$IMG_4431.JPG

hukim0531 said:
Looks like Sigma's front focus issue is not limited to Canon mounts. Adorama is shipping Siggy 30mm today which underwent their pairing service to ensure I get good copy the 1st time. Amazon may have best return policy, but I'd rather not deal with RMA process if I can help it.

Customer Rating 5 Stars Sigma 30mm F1.4 Ex Dc Hsm Lens Review | Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Lens For Nikon ( 300306 ) Reviews - Buzzillions.com

Wow adorama puts a lens through repair before you get it? Do you have to request the service?

Not repair but 'pairing'. I requested that they pair their in stock Siggy 30mm with T2i prior to shipment and take it through focus test. If you are interested, contact [email protected]. I will follow up with focus test images once the lens arrives to make sure they did what they say they did.

Got my Siggy 30mm back from calibration. I expected ~1 month turn around time but got my T2i and lens back in exactly a week. Here are some wide open test shots with it. Still trying to get used to the shorter focal length since I'm used to perspective of 50mm lens, but I can say that this Siggy is now my new favorite indoor lens.

Sigma 30mm post-cal test shots by Dohan_appa, on Flickr

Focus on lips

Focus on left eye

I am glad you got your lens back and in working order. I shoot a 60D and the Sigma 30 is my favorite lens. I use it mostly indoors shooting my kids but it really shines outside stopped down a bit. It is my sharpest lens and I have a few!

With the spring fully upon us I've been shooting a lot of my son and daughter outside. Looks like I'm going to need an ND filter. Just ordered Amazon.com: Polaroid Optics 62mm HD Multi-Coated Variable Range (ND3, ND6, ND9, ND16, ND32, ND400) Neutral Density (ND) Fader Filter - 6 Filters in 1!: Camera & Photo from Amazon so I don't have to stop down so much to get proper exposure. There are some mixed reviews on this filter, so I'll need to take it through some testing. Also ordered Amazon.com: Fotodiox 7 Metal Step Up Ring Set, Anodized Black Metal 49-52mm, 52-55mm, 55-58mm, 58-62mm, 62-67mm, 67-72mm, 72-77mm: Camera & Photo so I can use this filter on my other lenses with smaller diameter.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I find 50mm a bit too long so I'm considering either f2.8 compact zoom or shorter prime lens. I like low light capability and bokeh of large aperture prime lenses, so I'm thinking of buying either Sigma 30mm or 28mm instead of a short zoom. I see that 30mm is the more popular choice over 28mm. I love the shots others have taken with 30mm fully open at f1.4. When I see 28mm (Canon or Sigma) images others have taken, they don't look as dreamy or appealing. I like the short MFD in 28mm lens as well as compatibility to FF for my future upgrade. My question to you is, which lens would you vote for and why? Sigma 30mm, Sigma 28mm, or Canon 28mm? Looks like Adomara is the seller of choice for my Sigma lotto.

Steve

Should have got the sigma 17-50mm f2.8. It would be handy with kids. The wide angle is good for when they get really close up and for lots of other stuff. Sorry to hear your 30mm had issues. I had heard lots of great things about that lens.

Enjoy your Siggy. I've been enjoying mine for several years now, as well as my Siggy 50 1.4. Pixel Peepers (who it must be said are anal and OCD), get all wrapped up in edge sharpness. But think about it; if you crop, you remove a fair amount of it, and when you're shooting people, most of the time you blur your background. Are you really going to notice the edges of your blurry background not being as sharp as the rest of your blurry background? In another recent thread where the OP commented on this lens being "pretty crappy" (anal OCD speak for "it's not sharp at the edges at 200%"), Derrel put it best by saying "I don't take pictures of focus test charts". I've made dozens of prints of shots taken with my 30 1.4, and matted, framed and hung on the wall, I'm happy to report that the hideous edge sharpness isn't noticeable. Unless, of course, your an anal, OCD Pixel Peeper putting your nose up to the glass just to wind yourself up.

I find 50mm a bit too long so I'm considering either f2.8 compact zoom or shorter prime lens. I like low light capability and bokeh of large aperture prime lenses, so I'm thinking of buying either Sigma 30mm or 28mm instead of a short zoom. I see that 30mm is the more popular choice over 28mm. I love the shots others have taken with 30mm fully open at f1.4. When I see 28mm (Canon or Sigma) images others have taken, they don't look as dreamy or appealing. I like the short MFD in 28mm lens as well as compatibility to FF for my future upgrade. My question to you is, which lens would you vote for and why? Sigma 30mm, Sigma 28mm, or Canon 28mm? Looks like Adomara is the seller of choice for my Sigma lotto.

Steve

Should have got the sigma 17-50mm f2.8. It would be handy with kids. The wide angle is good for when they get really close up and for lots of other stuff. Sorry to hear your 30mm had issues. I had heard lots of great things about that lens.
Enjoy your Siggy. I've been enjoying mine for several years now, as well as my Siggy 50 1.4. Pixel Peepers (who it must be said are anal and OCD), get all wrapped up in edge sharpness. But think about it; if you crop, you remove a fair amount of it, and when you're shooting people, most of the time you blur your background. Are you really going to notice the edges of your blurry background not being as sharp as the rest of your blurry background? In another recent thread where the OP commented on this lens being "pretty crappy" (anal OCD speak for "it's not sharp at the edges at 200%"), Derrel put it best by saying "I don't take pictures of focus test charts". I've made dozens of prints of shots taken with my 30 1.4, and matted, framed and hung on the wall, I'm happy to report that the hideous edge sharpness isn't noticeable. Unless, of course, your an anal, OCD Pixel Peeper putting your nose up to the glass just to wind yourself up.

Thanks guys for your input. I do love my new calibrated Sigma 30mm. Looking at Sigma 50mm shots in Flicker.com, I still wonder if I should have went for that instead. But I already own 50mm mk1 and find it too confining indoors. I think my next upgrade will be a zoom lens at the long end i.e. 70-200, which will bring back the same dilemma... Siggy or Canon? ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for starting this post.
Your review and photos were nice! Really answered my question.
Do you know of any side-by-side review between the 28mm and 30mm?

Well, the Sigma 30mm is my favorite lens. It's not unsharp generally but you have to be a bit lucky to get a sharp one. Alright, i have to admit: if you shoot at 1.4, it kinda looks like a slightly soft focus but you can work against that with the simplest sharping-methodes in Photoshop. All in all i love this lens and mine seems to be a "sharp" one, all these photos are taken with this lens:
30mm <3 - a set on Flickr
(so i really can't say it's bad)

Hi Chris, about your 30mm lenses.
I was planning on buying the same lenses as well after seeing your breath taking photos.. haha
and you said that your lenses was sharp. Would that be because you were using a 550D?
f I were to put the same lenses on my camera, would it be sharp too? Or is it a hit and miss to get a lucky one...?

I have the Sigma 30mm 1.4 that I use on my 60D but the lens I really like is the new Sigma 35mm 1.4 which I use on my 5D III. Just awesome. The 30MM on 60D is just not wide enough. On cropped I might recommend a 24mm.

Most reactions

Back