Sigma 30mm f/1.4 vs. 50mm f/1.4 for 60D?

James_EG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I've been looking for a while to get a standard prime lens for my 60D, I decided not to go for Canon after watching a few comparisons, Sigma was shown to be giving a far better performance.

However, I am unsure whether to go for the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, or the 50mm f/1.4. As you know the 60D is a crop sensor, so 30mm would be equal to 48mm on the crop sensor, and 50mm is equal to 80mm. I'm wondering if this would be too long for indoor and general use for a standard lens, with the 30mm being the equivalent of a true standard lens on a crop sensor camera.

The only downside to the 30mm is the smaller 62mm filter thread, I want to soon buy Tokina 11-16mm and Canon 24-105mm lenses (probably before the sigma) which both have 77mm filter threads, so I will be buying 77mm filters, would a step-up ring be fine for the lens?

Thanks, James

Only you can answer the question as to which lens will be too short or too long.

Don't worry too much about filter threads, a step-up ring is cheap and easy. And honestly, how often would you put a filter on something like a 30mm or 50mm?

I owned the 30mm F1.4. The sharpness was outstanding...when it was in focus.

Okay thanks, I think I would be better off with the 30mm and I'm glad you've had some experience with the lens.

Thanks again, James

Just for clarity's sake, I think my Sigma 30mm has focus issues....as in, it wouldn't AF accurately on my camera. Might be some user error involved, as shooting with razor thin DOF is not easy...but if you do some reading on-line, you'll see that these things are known for focus issues.

So you might want to test the lens you get, just to make sure.

Okay, thanks for the warning, much appreciated

Most reactions

Back