Sigma 50 1.4 experiences?

Mach0

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey TPF- I wanted to see if anyone has experienced what I have. I've recently purchased a sigma 50 1.4 and on the first copy I had AF fine tune set to -7 on the d700. However, the d90 doesn't have any AF fine tune. Anything beyond 6 feet, it back focused like heck on both bodies. So I exchanged it since I didn't see the point of using different 50 primes on different bodies. I got a newer copy of the lens and no AF fine tune is needed for both bodies but after 10-12 feet it back focuses as well. I haven't uploaded the images but I test shot the sigma 50 1.4 and the 50 1.8g. The 1.8g - no issues. Not even wide open. The sigma seems to focus 2 feet and beyond anything past 10 feet.
Now at first I thought it might have been user error but then with both lenses I cleared up my end. But the sigma sometimes focuses spot on at that distance.

So my question would be for the experienced users--- two bad copies or is it just focus consistency at that distance?

I love the sigma's bokeh. It's more pleasing than the 1.8g's but the focus issues I'm seeing has me ready to call it quits and just spend the cash from the sigma on something else. I never had an issue with my 1.8g. I just find the 9 rounded aperture blades more appealing.

I am not trying to turn it into a sigma bash thread. I would just like to see what have you guys experienced. Thanks!!

Also, made me consider the nikon 50 1.4g. The sigma is sharper in the center until 5.6 and the 1.8g is sharper at 1.8 than the 1.4g. ( at least on the reviews.)

I can't comment on the sigma but I tried both 50mm Nikon 1.8G & 1.4G and I have to say the 1.8G out performed the 1.4G slightly. The build quality is better on the 1.4G but that wasn't enough for me to shell out the extra cash just to get it.

I can't comment on the sigma but I tried both 50mm Nikon 1.8G & 1.4G and I have to say the 1.8G out performed the 1.4G slightly. The build quality is better on the 1.4G but that wasn't enough for me to shell out the extra cash just to get it.

Thanks! I'm almost at the point where I might just take the cash back, by an sb900 or another ab800 with a bd.

Mine was perfect (for me)
Used on D700

That's good news. I thought this was was going to be fine since it seemed good but when I took my niece and my daughter out, got lots of effed up photos lol. My nephews bday party was yesterday and I went toget some shots all of my niece and my daughter on the trampoline..... The springs behind the girls were in focus. I wasnt very happy since I just grabbed my small bag and didn't have any other lenses.... Shame on me. I kept the aperture between 4-5 so some shots around the bday party aren't too bad. I'm going to have a look at the images today on the PC vs just the LCD monitor. I want to see how off the others are.

Happy Monday.

I can't be of much help, as the only 50mm I have is the Nikon 50mm f/1.8, which I've never had any focusing issues with (other than the fact that sometimes, I just miss...)

I've never used a Sigma 50. Only Sigma lens I have is the 150-500, which I love. I did have a Sigma 75-300 a while back, for a short period of time; it was terrible--just extremely soft, even in the middle of its range.
I offer all of that just to say that I guess so far my experience with Sigma lenses is 50/50. One really nice lens, one not so good.

But that doesn't really help you at all with the 50mm issues. :D
If it was me, and I'd already tried two copies, I think I wouldn't really CARE whether it was just two bad copies or just focus consistency. Either way, it sounds to me like the Sigma 50 is just not working out for you. I'd ditch it and buy something else.

I can't be of much help, as the only 50mm I have is the Nikon 50mm f/1.8, which I've never had any focusing issues with (other than the fact that sometimes, I just miss...)

I've never used a Sigma 50. Only Sigma lens I have is the 150-500, which I love. I did have a Sigma 75-300 a while back, for a short period of time; it was terrible--just extremely soft, even in the middle of its range.
I offer all of that just to say that I guess so far my experience with Sigma lenses is 50/50. One really nice lens, one not so good.

But that doesn't really help you at all with the 50mm issues. :D
If it was me, and I'd already tried two copies, I think I wouldn't really CARE whether it was just two bad copies or just focus consistency. Either way, it sounds to me like the Sigma 50 is just not working out for you. I'd ditch it and buy something else.

:-//
It sucks. I really like the lens for anything within 10 feet. It just sucks that anything beyond that I have issues with. I was more hoping it was user error and maybe someone can chime in and say " hey do this or whatever. "
I wonder how the heck everyone has had great success but I've gotten two duds in a row.

I'm not knocking it. I might rent the sigma 85 1.4 to see how I like it.

the only 50mm I have is the Nikon 50mm f/1.8, which I've never had any focusing issues with (other than the fact that sometimes, I just miss...

This made me lol. I tried the 1.8 to test and it was blurred. I was like $#|!. But then I retried and locked perfect. It was me lol.

Request for RMA sent. :( I might just buy an 85 prime now :)

I've had two copies. Both worked perfectly. Only reason for two copies is the first was stolen, so I rushed and replaced it. Used on both Canon 6D and 5DMKII. But two bad copies is unfortunate. It really is an excellent lens when it's working properly.

I've had two copies. Both worked perfectly. Only reason for two copies is the first was stolen, so I rushed and replaced it. Used on both Canon 6D and 5DMKII. But two bad copies is unfortunate. It really is an excellent lens when it's working properly.

I don't buy lenses new but I'm almost tempted to buy new. Maybe the reason I've been unfortunate is buying one used MAYBE swapped out since they weren't working well? I'm on a limb. I can't see someone selling it unless they don't use it. The thing is awesome when it works correctly.

Possibly. People can be shady. I normally buy lenses used as well but at the time I was looking to replace my 50 1.8 there were tons of threads about focusing issues with the Sigma. But after playing with it in person I couldn't resist and decided to buy a new copy just as protection.

Possibly. People can be shady. I normally buy lenses used as well but at the time I was looking to replace my 50 1.8 there were tons of threads about focusing issues with the Sigma. But after playing with it in person I couldn't resist and decided to buy a new copy just as protection.

The first one I got was an older model. I felt as if the focus was clunky but at -7 AF fine tune it was awesome but that was on one body that supported AF fine tune. It was replaced with a newer one with a shiny finish but on this one the closest I can get to focusing right for farther subjects is -19!!! Then that screws up the up close focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back