Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 OS vs Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 OS

BFiggy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to pick up a new zoom lens for my Nikon D7100 (DX) and I'm kind of torn between the Sigma 50-150mm and 70-200mm.

Are there any differences between two besides focal length?

Since this is going on a crop sensor and I already have a Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 it seems like the 50-150mm would be the way to go?

Is there anything I should know about or anyone who's tried both of these out?

BTW I will be shooting cars and will probably be using it at f2.8 most of the time.

Last edited:
I have a 50-135mm f/3.5 Nikkor that's really handy on an APS-C Nikon. Having that 50mm bottom end is soooooo handy!!!! I dunno...70mm x 1.5 means you are always so far back on people work. But if you are doing more long-range stuff, then the 70-200 focal length range is probably better for most people, most of the time. I'm not familiar with the exact weight and size of the Sigma 50-150mm, but if it's smaller and lighter than a 70-200/2.8 (and I would think it ought to be) it might make for a much easier to carry rig.

Thanks for the info Derrel, I really appreciate it! I think you're right about the 50mm length coming in handy... I think if I got the 70-200mm I would end up missing the shorter focal lengths.

Thanks for the link to that thread, his pics really look great with that lens!

Most reactions

Back