Sigma 50-500 mm f/4-6.3 EX APO Lens

I know someone who has it and he loves it.

I have one and it is my most used lens for railroad photography in the field. It actually replaced my 100-400L as it was a ton cheaper... for a lens that has 50mm more on the short end and 100mm more on top. Picture wise they were completely comparable so it was a no-brainer to sell the Canon. Now of course this lens is no 500L (which I use for wildlife) but in a crunch situation it can hold its own if you consider the difference between the $5400 I paid for my 500L and the $750 I paid for my Bigma.

Here are a couple examples @ 500mm...

2006_10_18-R11.jpg

2006_10_18-R04.jpg

The only real problem that I can think of is IQ at the extremes and shutter speeds at 500mm. you'd have to have 1000th of a second at f/6.3 and 500mm to get a reasonably sharp image. It needs VR if you're going to hand hold.

The only real problem that I can think of is IQ at the extremes and shutter speeds at 500mm. you'd have to have 1000th of a second at f/6.3 and 500mm to get a reasonably sharp image. It needs VR if you're going to hand hold.

Thats kinda a blanket statement... both of the shots above were WAY less than 1/1000 and were both hand held... if you practice your shooting and long lens technique the 1/focal length rule really doesnt apply much...

Thats kinda a blanket statement... both of the shots above were WAY less than 1/1000 and were both hand held... if you practice your shooting and long lens technique the 1/focal length rule really doesnt apply much...
I can see that, I have really shaky hands, so for me to hand hold a lens like that, i'd have to down ibuprofen like it was candy. :p

You're right, it does help and I even wrap my strap around my arms.

Thanks everyone!
I liked the price so wanted to find out if it was a good lens. I believe I will get it. I need a good lens for wildlife. LOL.....Think I'll get a good tripod also.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back