Sigma 60-600mm AF Help!!

UrbanPhotoSniper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not sure if this is an issue or not. After shutter button is pressed down to initiate auto focus and it focus's, if a photo is not taken the lens stutters a tiny bit and the af motor moves slightly, I can feel and hear the lens. Is this normal? Please help. Thanks

Do you mean the lens seems to make noise if you continue to hold the shutter 1/2 way?
I think that is just the camera updating the lens on position and the lens making corrections until a shot is taken. Does the lens have any form of vibration compensation? That may be contributing as well.

Do you have trouble with the shots coming out bad or are just concerned about the sounds?

If I continue to hold the button 1/2 way nothing happens. The shots come out fine. It only happens after I release the shutter button. It happens in manual focus mode too. I’m concerned about it and wanted to know if it’s normal or not.

So I turned off the image stabilizer and it doesn’t do it anymore. So with it enabled is that behavior normal?

Yes, it's normal if your camera is pretty still to see the OS jump a little when it turns on/off with a half depress/release of the shutter button

So I turned off the image stabilizer and it doesn’t do it anymore. So with it enabled is that behavior normal?

Yup, that's normal.
The stabilization works by actually moving a small element inside the lens, it makes it look like the image is moving in the viewfinder.

Anti-shake measures in the lens move a segment of the optics in order to balance against your natural body vibrations when holding the lens. This takes a few moments to actually start moving, detect the motion and then adjust performance to match vibrations. Therefore if you're the type of person who points and shoots very fast at a subject; then the anti-shake can actually cause blurring in the photo because its not yet got up to speed.

Depending how you shoot sometimes it can help to turn it off if you are going to shoot like the above. It's also good to turn it off if your shutter speed is fast enough to counter handshake anyway. Note that with very long lenses like the 600mm you've got, I've actually found having it on helps steady the viewfinder image when keeping focus tracking a subject. So that can be a boon even if your shutter speed is already fast enough to overcome handshake blur.

It is fairly normal for some stabilized lenses to emit a slight sound when the stabilization system is engaged.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back