Sigma 70-200 f2.8

OlivierCaire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm about to buy a Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Macro but reading on the web, I saw that the autofocus was not very performant I low lights. If somebody got some informations or experience on this...

Just have to note that this point is very important for me because I'll use this lense to shoot modeles on the runway during fashion parades. I konw that the best solution would be to buy the Nikon with a VR but it's too expensive for me....

Excuse my poor english, I just arrived in Sydney two months ago frm Paris...

Thanks,

Olivier

Welcome to the forum!

Have you priced used Nikon lenses? The pro grade ones are hard to wear out and if you buy from a reputable store you can get a used f2.8 in that range for the about the price of a new Sigma or at least in the states.

Good luck!

mike

I have the 70-200 2.8 Sigma. I also shoot in very low light situations (dirt track races at night). Anyway, I find the focus quite fast enough for me (cars going 100+ mph)

Bear in mind that "on the web" is not necessarily an objective source of facts ;) if someone writing a review of the Sigma says it doesn't perform well in low light, it's possible that it's partly due to their camera and partly due to their abilities too... The 70-200 has always been a good lens. With its larger aperture it was a fast lens even in the previous versions without HSM; with HSM motors the focusing certainly should not disappoint. I expect it will take something a fair bit faster and less predictable than some walking models to cause problems there.

Optical and build quality on the Sigma are both excellent, as a cheaper alternative to the Nikon I would definitely consider it. You could get a used Nikon instead, but with a new lens you may have an advantage in focusing speed, and will also have the advantage of a decent warranty period.

You could get a used Nikon instead, but with a new lens you may have an advantage in focusing speed, and will also have the advantage of a decent warranty period.

Does that mean that as a lens gets older it starts to slow down?

No, what he means is that newer lenses have better focussing motors than the older lenses. I'd imagine that the focussing speed would remain more or less the same as the lens ages.

Right. Sigma's lens has an HSM motor, equivalent to Nikon's AF-S technology. It's a newer and faster system than having the focusing controlled by a motor in the camera body. If you are looking for older used lenses then they may not be AF-S in which case they would probably not be as fast to focus.

Guys,

Thanks to all of you for your quick answer.

I'll feel better now to buy this lense...

Cheers

Olivier

Guys,

Thanks to all of you for your quick answer.

I'll feel better now to buy this lense...

Cheers

Olivier

Don't mean to discourage you, but i tested that lens today indoors(lowish light) and i have to say, it took a long time to focus. Not even in terms of hunting for focus, it just moves slowly from one end of the focal length to the other. Once it gets there though, it focuses instantly.

Sad thing is, i have a Canon 30D coming on Wednesday, with exactly that lens.

Odd, the one I used was really fast to focus and that was without HSM :/

Don't mean to discourage you, but i tested that lens today indoors(lowish light) and i have to say, it took a long time to focus. Not even in terms of hunting for focus, it just moves slowly from one end of the focal length to the other. Once it gets there though, it focuses instantly.

Man... that stinks. I wonder if there were other conditions that caused this.

Sad thing is, i have a Canon 30D coming on Wednesday, with exactly that lens.

Couldn't wait another 3 weeks for the 40D? :D

Man... that stinks. I wonder if there were other conditions that caused this.

Maybe, i don't know. It's a weathered lens, too, so maybe that's what caused it. It's been in professional use for quite a few years now. (The one i tested, i mean)

Couldn't wait another 3 weeks for the 40D? :D
I was on a fixed budget of about $4K and i needed a grip, another lens, a flash, some accessories, etc. So i "settled" for the 30D. Other than that, it's being brought in to Israel by relatives who won't be back here for another year, after that.
But you're right, the 40D is a sweet machine.

I was on a fixed budget of about $4K and i needed a grip, another lens, a flash, some accessories, etc. So i "settled" for the 30D. Other than that, it's being brought in to Israel by relatives who won't be back here for another year, after that.
But you're right, the 40D is a sweet machine.

Wise choice. Israel would be AWESOME, I'd love to visit sometime.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back