Sigma 70-200 or Nikkor 70-200... Or other???

Update: I ended up picking up the Nikon 80-200 AF-S f/2.8. I think it is going to exceed expectations! It is a lot heavier than my little 18-55 and 55-200, so that will be an adjustment! It also completely dwarfs my D3100. I am happy with it though and I can't wait to take it out and really play with it!

That is a massive piece of glass, much heavier than my AF-D version. Optically I am certain you will be pleased with the results. Make sure you have a decent monopod, your forearms and biceps will thank you.

p!nK

The Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 AFS VR-II is one of the best lenses of it's type you can get for your camera. It tolerates very well the use of Nikon TC14's thereby giving you a good longer f/4.0 telezoom. Expensive? Yes. Good? Absolutely. Will it retain it's value? Yes, for a very long time, and at a way higher percentage than any third party lens you could buy. Take a look at the market value of Nikkor 28mm f/1.4 AF-D lenses for an example of good glass holding it's value! True, that is an exceptional example, but still, you just never can tell. We don't plan on changing our minds when we buy, we tell ourselves we will keep this lens, or whatever, for ever. For ever is a very long time, situations change and technology advances.

Besides, how many threads have you seen where a person bemoans he didn't get a Sigma instead of the Nikkor?

So, if you can afford it and you want it, you will not likely regret the decision to get one.

EDIT: I just noticed you acquired a Nikkor 80-200, good lens. Ignore everything I've said above.

To help preserve your health for your situation, may I also suggest to consider a good monopod and swivel head. It will relieve a lot of back strain. This is what I roll with, but any one that will support your heaviest load is better than nothing.

Whenever it is possible, I always try to stick to Nikon lenses. They hold their value very well.

To help preserve your health for your situation, may I also suggest to consider a good monopod and swivel head. It will relieve a lot of back strain. This is what I roll with, but any one that will support your heaviest load is better than nothing.

Lol, you would literally laugh out loud if you saw me lugging this thing around. I will have no choice but to get a monopod. I have been looking into them since I picked up the new lens... It's definitely on my list of things to purchase - and I think it jumps a spot everytime I pick up that lens!

Few Qs you need to ask your self:
What will you be doing w/ these image - keeping on computer? printing? selling?
Where do you see your self w/ photography in a year?
How much are you willing to spend?
Since digital wagon came about, I've used number of 3rd party lenses as well as brand names and the only glass, of the top of my head, that I gave me similar results was Tamron 17-50 2.8 (comparing to Nikon 17-55 2.8). Other lenses that I used, unless specialty of some sort, was just not good enough.
For me, good enough means that I can print 16x20 (or larger) and won't see loss in quality.
If you're planning to keep your pics on computer and share w/ friends, get the Sigma and another lens :)
Good Luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back