Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 or the Nikkor 300mm f/4

kylehess10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kylehessphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot at a lot of Atlanta Braves games and I use a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens with a 1.4x teleconverter making it a 98-280mm f/4

I haven't tried the older-version of the Nikon 300mm f/4 lens but it seems decently priced.

Has anybody tried the Nikkor 300mm f/4 lens and have any opinions?

Here's a few pics that I took with the Sigma lens I currently have. I do love the quality despite the fact that it's Sigma, but can the Nikkor 300mm f/4 give me even better results?

4498882570_751646928b_b.jpg

4498882588_1ecfb1233a_b.jpg

4498882584_6c5fee400f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Edit: Just realised talking about the wrong lens. Must remember to wake up and turn brain on before posting

Last edited:
I think these pictures are great. No need for a new lens IMO. Spend your money on season tickets to the games!

I think these pictures are great. No need for a new lens IMO. Spend your money on season tickets to the games!

I kind of agree, they look really sharp. Are night games a conflict? or are you looking to get tighter crops of their faces?

I like the sigma 120-300 f2.8. Its expensive, but the zoom is nice to have, and it plays really nicely with teleconverters :p

I kind of agree, they look really sharp. Are night games a conflict? or are you looking to get tighter crops of their faces?

I actually only get dollar-tickets that the Braves sell before every home game, so I never really buy expensive seats ever. I just sit in them whenever I find an empty one.
I haven't shot at any night games this year. I've only gone to their day games so I can keep the high shutter speed and low ISO. I do crop a lot though since from where I'm usually taking pics, the players fit in just half of the frame, so cropping is needed for every pic I take.

That Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 does look really nice, but the only thing that worries me though, ofcourse, is the fact that it's Sigma.

what kind of lens are you using currently? It looks great!

I would rather have the 300 f/4 AF-S than a Sigma 70-200 with a 1.4x converter if I needed to shoot longer range shots...the Nikkor 300/4 AF-S is a good lens,optically, better than probably any 70-200 with any converter....but it has no zoom...so...

The older, screw-drive 300/4 AF...I think I would rather have the Sigma zoom than the "old" nikon 300mm AF-D lens for action sports.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back