sigma 70-210 UC with DSLR

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi.. my friend just borrowed me sigma 70-210 UC to canon... I wonder... if it's gonna work with DSLR (350d)... I'm afraid to check :p so if you;ve checked tell me please what happened!:)

ok I tried...
now I need to know what to do:
the lens works pretty well at the apperture 4-5.6 (so the widest apperture), but when I changed it to something like f/8 or smaller I got an error 99.
Now, I know that mostly I'll be shooting at 4-5.6 when everything is ok and I love wide appertures. But is it safe to the camera?

It's not going to hurt the camera, but to work properly, it will probably need to be resent to Sigma and have a new chip put in to work with newer cameras.

Digital Matt said:
It's not going to hurt the camera, but to work properly, it will probably need to be resent to Sigma and have a new chip put in to work with newer cameras.

do you know anything about the cost of it? Because if I'm to spend a few $$ I think that I should save up for about 2-3 months and buy even 70-300 or 55-200 basic lens...

I have the Sigma 1:4-5.6 DG 70-300mm lens and am reasonably happy with it. I say it is my incompetence in photography if this lens does not produce the pics I want, not the lens.

There are better lenses, of course.
Like the ones Raymond or Peter use.
But who can afford those!?!?
I got this new (second of the same kind) Sigma lens for €169,- only a couple of days before we flew to New York. At a Media Markt, I think... yes. In Hamburg-Harburg. I remember now.

LaFoto said:
I have the Sigma 1:4-5.6 DG 70-300mm lens and am reasonably happy with it. I say it is my incompetence in photography if this lens does not produce the pics I want, not the lens.

There are better lenses, of course.
Like the ones Raymond or Peter use.
But who can afford those!?!?
I got this new (second of the same kind) Sigma lens for €169,- only a couple of days before we flew to New York. At a Media Markt, I think... yes. In Hamburg-Harburg. I remember now.

I have the same lense, but Quantaray. It sucks. I hate it. I wish I had my $179 back. I will never buy a "cheap" lense again. I can tell a HUGE difference in the sharpness!

I do know that with my Nikon D50, you cannot change the aperture manually, it has to be set at the highest f/number and locked there, then changed through the camera - or else the camera gives an error message.

I just goggled “Canon error 99” seem to be some uncertainness what the error means. But most conmen answer is that the contacts between the lens and camera are dirty, I your case it would like be the contacts on the lens need cleaning.

This site recommend cleaning them with a pencil erases.
http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/04/29/50mm-lens-contact-points/

You'll get an error99 if you use a 3rd party lens that is not made to newer digital standards. I've never heard of it happening with older Canon EF lenses, but with Sigma and Tamrons it does happen. I bought a Sigma 50mm 2.8 macro, and it works fine on my Eos 50, but gives an error 99 on my 20D.

but if I shoot for a couple of times it won't harm the camera???

Digital Matt said:
It's not going to harm it at all. It's just getting the signals crossed.

great... well I mean that it is great that my camera is safe. I'll try the lens on those setting where it works fine, but even though I'll save up for a better zoom :D

well.. I'm afraid that I'll stop using it... yesterday I went out with my camera nad friend, I tooka bout 15 photos then I saw "error 99" blinking on my camera! oopss... I didn't change anything! I mounted my kit lens and everything worked perfectly... the went back to sigma... took again about 15 pics and I saw an error again.. :( i think I need to save up for canon tele lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back