Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 - worth fixing?

AnnieHuley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My grandma had a sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 sitting in her closet unused and gave it to me, When the lens is wide open it works but if I raise the aperture at all I get an error 01 message. Tried it on another camera, same thing.

I've never taken a lens in for repairs so I have no concept of how much that can cost... Is it worth fixing?

Thanks for the quick response but the price of the lens is the only thing in the situation I already know.

I've never had a lens repaired so I don't know if it is something that is expensive - would the cost of repairs end up more than the cost of the lens? I tried looking up what an error 01 was and got five different answers.
I've only gotten to see the lens wide open so I don't really know what the lens is like... Is it worth putting money into as long as it doesn't cost more than the lens? The lens has good reviews on Amazon.

in my opinion by the time you ship it and pay them to look at before they even do anything you will have paid for a used lens already.

but if you really want to know exact numbers you can contact them
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/service-support

but maybe someone here will know a fix for your issue too so hold out for some responses, i dont know the lens but if it has contacts have you tried cleaning them?

just my opinion

Last edited:
found this on yourtube its worth a shot

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not familiar with that particular lens, and Sigma has made some duds over the years, however I do have two Sigma lenses that I really, really like. If something happened to either one of them I wouldn't hesitate to have them repaired. I think it's certainly worthwhile checking to see what it costs to have it repaired. If they are like most repair centers they will either have a flat-rate for repair or will contact you with a repair cost before they do the work once they have it in hand and can check it over. You'll have to pay the shipping cost, of course, but you can then decide if the cost is out of line.

Most reactions

Back