Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro

MTVision

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anybody have this lens? I'm thinking about buying it and was curious what people thought of it.

Opinions?

Got one :)
Out of interest what are your reasons for wanting to own one- what are you hoping to do/achieve with this lens?

I actually knew you had one - did a search on flickr a little bit ago and one of your images popped up!

Not interested in bugs really. I wanted one to be able to take some different creative shots (water drop, oil/water, etc). I've wanted a macro for a little bit now but can't decide on one.

I was actually debating Between the nikon 40 and 60mm macros when I came across the sigma. I don't think the short working distances will be too much of a problem for me.

I would avoid the 40mm for a one and only macro lens, I've a 35mm and for close up it works well, but at 1:1 you are so close that lighting and focusing are very tricky; its doable but quite a bit of a challenge. The 60mm is a good option to consider, though I don't know the specific properties of the nikon version to comment.

As for the 70mm its fullframe compatible - works with sigma brand teleconverters (both 1.4 and 2*TC) - has a generally good focusing speed, though its a screwdrive so kinda noisy compared to quite USM/HSM type motors. You'll also want to use the focus limiting switch when not using it for close up work.

For a generalist macro lens its a light and easy to use one and certainly worth considering - I like mine for it small and lighter build over some of the others; whilst for indoor type work its easy to work with since it isn't pushing you miles back to get things in focus.

About the only weakness of the lens in my view, is the fact that it has no fulltime manual focusing and for regular portrait and further off subjects you might find the AF a little noisy compared to some other lenses (manual focusing is an option, but like most macro lenses whilst they have very fine manual focusing in the close distances, the further off distances have a much shorter turn on the focus wheel for a big shift in focus - making them tricky to manually focus on further off subjects).

Thanks! I think I'm gonna get the sigma then. I don't know if I will ever switch to full frame but you never know! Thanks so much! Now I can't wait to order it! Macros seem like a lot of fun!!

Just be careful - macro can be highly addictive! ;)

I've heard that the Sigma 70mm is one of the sharpest lenses you can get for 35mm format cameras.

Sw1tchFX said:
I've heard that the Sigma 70mm is one of the sharpest lenses you can get for 35mm format cameras.

You guys are making me wish there was a store around me that had them in stock! But, no - I have to order online. :(

Ahh but think of the bonus - now you're actually excited to see the postman ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back