Sigma AF 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 - Lens Upgrade

ANDS!

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm able to get this as a cheap zoom upgrade for a recently purchased Nikon D50 that came with the standard lens on it. However, I am unable to find any information about this sucker online, although the seller says its an older model no longer produced.

Anyone have any experience with this sucker, or know of a review of it?

Any help is appreciated.

I don't have any first hand experience with that lens...but I really don't think it would be an "upgrade" from the Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. One is a standard zoom, the other is a telephoto zoom. Both are consumer grade (bottom of the scale).

I have that lens here right now. My granddad let me borrow it and it works pretty well if you ask me. I like it.

Both are consumer grade (bottom of the scale).

Im sure. Hes letting me have it for 50 (ripoff?). I dont mean upgrade as its gonna replace the lens on it now - just want something I can use to telephoto with. I also know its not a dedicated Macro Lens, but Im under budget constraints and hoping itll allow me to take better up close shots. Im not looking for "Pro" shots, but shots that the average hobbyist can live with.

I cant find a lot of resources online for lens help - and it sucks. All these lenses have different identifying letters and uses, and it would be nice to have a site or something that demonstrated or explained what each one does. I understand this increases the focal range, and should thus be able to get better far away and macro shots - but what about the dedicated macro lenses and what not. Thats the info I want to know about. Searching really isnt that helpful - theres info about lenses and whos using what. . .but not a user-friendly entry level explanation.

For $50...if it's working properly...then I'd go for it. It should be a decent lens. As for the macro ability...you will be able to find that out pretty quick...all you need to do is find out how close it will focus. The closer, the better.

Picked it up for the 50 - and quite impressed so far:

moneyze3.jpg

foodlp8.jpg

If you can tell me how to get that close without the camera going out of focus, Id definitely appreciate it.

Most reactions

Back