Sigma fisheye...

maxbennett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey

i'm looking to buy a fisheye lens for my nikon d70s (via ebay). i read an article about nikon fisheyes vs the sigma model. the person couldn't stop talking about how much better the sigma one is, even though it's about half the price. while looking htem up on ebay, i came across a 15mm lens and an 8mm lens. my question is what's the difference? my understanding of it is the 15mm is 180º diagonally, and the 8mm is 180º left to right (which would be wider... wouldn't it?)

any facts would be greatly appreciated.

-max

8mm is wider.

I'm personally saving up for the 10.5mm nikon fisheye. The biggest reason is you can focus as close as 1.2 inches from the front of the lens! The sigma 8mm is either 7.1 or 3.5 inches from the front of the lens (the website doesn't clarify if it's from the front or from inside the camera).

Secondly, you can use the Nikon Capture software to turn the fisheye into a normal photo.

So it's basically a fisheye / macro combo. Hard to resist for me. :)

In my opinion and from what I have read and played around with, Sigma lenses are much better than Nikon Lenses and the BIG BONUS is that they are Cheaper too!

But that is my opinion and many other people may have their own opinion...

How can sigma make better lenses then Nikon?! Are you guys referring the sigmas to being better then the best nikon lenses? I dont know much about nikon lenses but I find it hard to beleive that sigma would make a better lens. Are there sigma lenses that a claimed to be better then canon L series glass?!

No, sigma lenses dont beat Canon L series glass at all but Sigma is a a dedicated lense manufacture so they can make better lenses. Well thats my opinion and a lot of people agree refering to comments/reviews I have read elsewhere. But please tell me if im wrong...

I'm afraid that's incorrect. Many nikkor lenses are better than canon L's (well...i guess that's no comparison...there are a couple third party lenses that are better than canon L's). Sigma makes a few of these very good lenses, but they also make some very crummy ones. Same with canon. However, canon is a much more reliable manufacturer and they have many many more great lenses than sigma does. Especially primes. Nikkor lenses are known to have a slight edge on canon lenses, even. They are known for their amazing quality, even the ones not in their professional line. however, they also have some 'not so good' lenses as well. That sigma 15mm 2.8 is a wonderful lens though, quite sharp as I've heard. the 8mm is a great one too, just not quite as sharp or fast. If you want wide though, that is certainly it!

i have the 15mm sigma which i previously used on a film SLR. I am however saving for the 10.5mm as i miss the fish eye effect that i can't get on my D70s due the focal length magnification.

the sigma 15mm is a good lens though i find it slow at focusing sometimes probably because it covers such a wide angle, but becuase of the price i don't complain.

Jadin - I just got the Sigma 8mm, it 3.5 long. Have not had used it much yet, don’t think that it going to be lens that I use a lot. Also have a Sigma 12mm FD lens

Sigma EX lenses are very good. They are not better than L-glass but very close. And cost haft of what L-glass goes for.

Shot these this weekend with the Sigma 8mm

large.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back