Sigma Lense

chavite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi -

Came across someone selling a Nikon D200 with "Sigma" lenses not Nikon lenses. Comes with:

Sigma 28-70mm F2.8-4 DG Lens
Sigma 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 DG Macro Lens

Does anyone know if this sounds OK? Most companies sell the D200 with the Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

is it a person or a company?

Its on ebay. They appear to be a company.

hm
thats a little wierd i guess. do you have a link?

It's probably a bundle they have created. The D200 either comes in Body only or with a 18-200mm VR kit i believe. So don't look like anything is out of the ordinary. Sigma lenses work awesomely!

This same seller also offers one page with 2 nikon lenses but they dont have the VR (vibration reduction). How important is that?

Does anyone know if this sounds OK? Most companies sell the D200 with the Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

I'm not a Nikon user, but purely on the "does it sound ok?" part, if you mean Ebay then I'd be fairly comfortable buying from the user. Excellent feedback of 99.9% and almost 10000ratings. Only 1 negative in the last month out of 500 transactions.
As far as the user is concerned, if it's an item i was looking to buy I'd be quite comfortable with that.

I have one Sigma lens for my Canon - a 17-35 f2.8-4 and it's great. Sigma lenses seem to get a good write up and I'm happy with mine.

Hope that's of use to you!

Hi Sandra Lero

I cannot view your links. Can you advise?

Chavite

The problem is that camera dealers earn the lowest percentage gross profit on camera bodies. This dealer is including some cheap lenses in order to improve his average margin. Nothing wrong with that. Just understand that these are cheap lenses, not the sort one would who bought a D200 would normally choose.

What do you think?

The same seller offers 2 options. Both D200's. One comes with:

+Plus Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG Lens
+Plus Sigma 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 DG Lens
+Plus 1 0.50X Pro Wide Angle Lens

But there is another package (also D200) that comes with:

+Plus Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Lens
+Plus Nikon 70-300mm g4-5.6G AF Lens
+Plus 1 0.50X Pro Wide Angle Lens

Does anyone know which lenses are better here? The sigma or nikon. I understand that Nikon is usually better for Nikon camera but are the specs on the Sigma better?

Thanks!

I don't expect either to be noticeable better. None of them are great lenses. If you really want to go for one of these, the Nikon kit lens goes wider at 18mm vs the Sigma's 28mm so would proably be more useful. But I say again they are not great lenses. They're cheap, cheap kit lenses. Why spend so much on a camera body and so little on the lenses? And a 0.50x conversion lens? Avoid that and look for a real wide-angle. And in my opinion avoid anyone selling such a package.

If you're set on the D200, buy the body separately (no lenses included) and increase your overall budget to afford some decent lenses. If the increasing the budget part isn't an option... how much do you really need a D200? The fact that you use a D200 or D50 probably won't show in the prints (not at normal sizes at least); the difference between a really cheap lens or a good one is far more likely to.

Can you recommend appropriate lense for the D200.

I was thinking Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (4.3x) 4.3x telephoto zoom lense with Vibration Reduction

and then a smaller length like the 18-55mm (but am not sure which one?)

Any recommendations?

Most reactions

Back