Sigma lenses

Dylan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I want to pick up a 20mm lens for my Canon Eos elan7e but even the used Canon lenses are a bit out of my price range. I was browsing the used inventory at KEH and they have some sigma lenses that are in my price range. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? How do they compare with Canon? Are there any other brands that I should look into? Also, can anyone recommend a good online store for lenses and other accessories? Thanks for your help.

B&H and Adorama are good, try the links up there on the top right.

Sigma and Tamron are well worth checking out. Sigma particularly have managed to equal or surpass Canon on some of their "digital" lenses for slightly less money.

Rob

I have heard sigma lenses are not that great, to the untrained eye Im sure they look fine but it seems people really involved in photogrphy dont like them. I hear Toinka makes nice lenses that are equal to nikons or cannons. As a rule of thumb do not skimp on lenses as they are transferable between bodies, in the long term you will be happy you spent the money on quality glass rather than buying something in your price range for the time being and having to upgrade later. For about 500 you can get a solid tonika lens. I know thats a low but its better than spending 200 now and 500 later.

My .02 on Sigma is get EX if you get any. They are supposed to be the best of their line. I've also read that they can have some poor quality control and you have a 50/50 shot of getting 'the good one'. I bought a 70-200mm f/2.8 Sigma EX APO DG IF and am pretty happy with it. Check for reviews on fredmiranda.com
Ditto again for the service and quality of B&H

D-50 said:
I have heard sigma lenses are not that great, to the untrained eye Im sure they look fine but it seems people really involved in photogrphy dont like them. I hear Toinka makes nice lenses that are equal to nikons or cannons. As a rule of thumb do not skimp on lenses as they are transferable between bodies, in the long term you will be happy you spent the money on quality glass rather than buying something in your price range for the time being and having to upgrade later. For about 500 you can get a solid tonika lens. I know thats a low but its better than spending 200 now and 500 later.
I like to consider my eye trained enough to spot a quality lens! :lmao: I also assume you mean "tokina" the lens manufacturer, rather than toinka - the small town in Russia?

I borrowed a
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM (I think it was that one?!) the other day and having read some reviews... the general consensus is it's slightly better than the Canon in most situations, especially the price. As John mentions, the EX seem to be the ones to go for. FWIW, I've touched quite a few EX lenses and been impressed with the improvements Sigma have made recently to their build quality. Lots of people on here use their lenses with great success!

Tokina, in my opinion, are regarded by professional photographers as a cheap and very nasty manufacturer, as Sigma were in the last decade before they got their act together.

Most manufacturers make good lenses and value lenses and times change and new products come out. I believe Tokina's macro lens is supposed to be a good bargain. However, it's all in the handling and end result for me - plasticy lenses are nasty, whether it's a Canon kit lens or something by a suspicious sounding company!!

Rob

All very good advice but I am aware that I won't get quite the same quality as Canon lens. I have a Canon 100mm USM lens which my mother passed on to me. I know that I can't afford that kind of quality any time soon however I refuse to let that stop me from taking good pictures. So I guess the point is: ya gotta make do with the best you can afford.

I ordered a used sigma lens from KEH a little while ago and when I got it the chip in the lens was too old for my rebel k2, it was made for older canons with the same mount. When i called sigma to see if they could re-chip it they said they dont carry that chip anymore cause its too old. So instead of wasting $20 on shipping cost originally and then back to KEH I decided to just keep it and hope to sell it.

SO just be careful and call them before you make a purchase to check the compatibility

Good advice. I need the EF mount and I've noticed a lot of them in various online stores. I'd feel better about buying locally however there's not much available in Delaware.

You might also consider renting the lens and taking it for a test drive before dropping the $$$ on it. Adorama rents lenses and will ship them out but it's not as cheap if you can stop in at NYC and get them in person. Either way... $50 or so to rent it for a day might be worthwhile.

I have a Sigma 18-125 and have good luck with it. Compared to my Nikon 70-300, the Sigma has a bit of a 'loose' feel when zooming. Other than that I like it

Most reactions

Back