sigma on a nikon?

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey i saw a sigma lens in a pawn shop in town and i'm wondering how i can figure out if it fits my camera.... i'm not sure how to tell you which lens it is... the inside of the lens says sigma zoom 70-210mm 1:4-5.6 UC II

maybe thats enough for you to know? will it fit my nikon d40???

IF you memorize the bottom of one of your current lenses you might be able to remember. Why not just take the camera with you? It's unlikely to auto focus anyway as I think that Sigma calls their lenses with on board focus motors HSM.

Were you aware that you can use PRE AI Nikon lenses on your D40? And this without having to get the lens milled? You would still need a hand held meter but you need one of those anyway. (gives you a reason to put your hand in someone's face when you are posing them :)

With really old Nikons I would stick to the non zooms (primes) but you should be able to get some really good glass for cheap. ;)

Just in: a 200mm f4 starting bid is $44
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Nikkor-Q-...ryZ48556QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A 135 mm f2.8 generally goes for $50 or under. I have one and it's great.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not true. Nikon are the only ones without focusing motors on the lenses. If it's not marked HSM it will have a standard motor in it otherwise not even Canons could AF them. HSM is just their silent wave motors.

But second the idea to take your camera in and test them before you buy.

Not true. Nikon are the only ones without focusing motors on the lenses. If it's not marked HSM it will have a standard motor in it otherwise not even Canons could AF them. HSM is just their silent wave motors.

Hmmmm, I thought that the Nikon AF-S lenses had on/inboard motors to focus themselves and that the D40 was designed with out an internal focus motor because of this- and why Nikon AF (non-S) lenses won't auto-focus on the D40.

Yes the D40 does not have the motor built in to the camera so they need the AF-S Nikon lens. Sigma put the HSM motor in there lenses and they to will work with the D40. That is what I was told anyway.

Here is a list of what current Sigma lenses are compatible with the D40/D40x.

10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC
12-24mm F4.5-5.6
17-35mm F2.8-4 DG
50-500mm F4-6.3 DG
APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM
70-200mm F2.8 DG MACRO
80-400mm F4.5-5.6
100-300mm F4 DG
120-300mm F2.8 DG
300-800mm F5.6 DG
14mm F2.8 EX
30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM
150mm F2.8 EX DG
180mm F3.5 EX DG
300mm EX DG
500mm EX DG
800mm f5.6 EX DG

Thanks Sabbath, I see my future lens on there so I am happy:) With that lens will you using the tripod mount on the lens instead of putting the camera on the tripod? I assume that is why it is put there.

Hmmmm, I thought that the Nikon AF-S lenses had on/inboard motors to focus themselves and that the D40 was designed with out an internal focus motor because of this- and why Nikon AF (non-S) lenses won't auto-focus on the D40.

True. I typed in a hurry yesterday and kept it short.

The D40 does not have an AF motor in it. It requires a motor in the lens. Currently the only Nikon lenses which contain such motors are the AF-S series with their silent wave motors. Every other Nikon lens couples to the camera body.

Canon on the other hand have motors in their lenses, USM or not. So naturally Sigma lenses must too. All the HSM series lenses and the lenses Sabbath linked above have AF motors in the camera.

What I was trying to say is that D40 does need an AF motor, but not necessarily a Silent Wave Motor / Hypersonic Motor / Ultrasonic Motor like the Sigma HSM or Nikon AF-S series, and that many Sigmas have an AF motor in them.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back