Sigma or tamron? Compared to canon L?

shivarn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The dilemma I have is that the lens 24-70mm f2.8 seem to be quite the popular choice and demand for many users.. I know that the canon L version of the 24-70mm f2.8 are the best overall, however price wise they are quite expensive for my current budget.. Tho definitely a thought for the future..

Now I have seen both the tamron and the sigma version of the 24-70mm and they seem quite alright to shoot with. Price is pretty affordable as well.. My problem is, compared to L series, I'm not sure which is better between the sigma lens and the tamron lens.. Any thoughts?

I hate to see a question go unanswered. So with that in mind, I would choose what you think you would like for lens, Sigma & Tamron, and compare them online with reviews made by independent reviewers. That way, you get the news, whatever it may be about the lens; good, bad or indifferent. Myself, I have no issues going with either, strictly because of money. I am not a pro, so am not looking for perfection in a lens, only affordability and good performance.

Let me just put it this way.. if you look around and find a 24-70L locally, you can probably buy it for around $1150-$1200. Now lets say you use it for 1 year. I am confident next year you can sell it for the same price! That is = $0 for 1 year rental.

Let me just put it this way.. if you look around and find a 24-70L locally, you can probably buy it for around $1150-$1200. Now lets say you use it for 1 year. I am confident next year you can sell it for the same price! That is = $0 for 1 year rental.

I bought one last month brand new from B&H for $1199.

I cant stress enough the importance of quality glass. Save your pennies even if it takes a year its worth it!

When comparing lenses, it's hard to gernerlize by brand, you really have to compare them on a lens by lens basis.

But that being said, I think it's a fair comparison when I say that the top of the line Sigma/Tamron/Tokina lenses can be 80-90% as good as the top end Canon or Nikon lenses...but for half the price.

So there is a lot of value in Sigma/Tamron, because you get a lot of quality for a good price. But that may be offset buy the fact that the resale value drops faster & further with Sigma/Tamron than it does for top end Canon/Nikon lenses.

So for many people (perhaps most) the Sigma/Tamron lenses are probably good enough. But for some photographers, that last 10-20% of quality, is well worth the added cost. For some people it comes down to knowing that you have the best tool for the job, and to some people, it's pure vanity.

In the past couple years, I was able to bought some used lenses, used them and sold them back for a little more than what I bought them for. (One of them was double $65 in -> $125 out for a EF 50mm mk1) A good quality lens usually hold the value. When the new lens price increase, the used lens also goes up.

Ok, it is cheaper now.. I sold mine for $1200.. but you know what i was saying.

I didn't know Tamron has a 24-70mm f/2.8I have seen great things from their 28-70mm, however. And from what I've heard, the 28-70 Tamron does a much better job than the 24-70 Sigma.

I don't think that Tamron has a 24-70....just the 28-75mm F2.8.

Tamron's 28-75 is so good that Minolta, and then Sony, had it made in their "dress". It's one of the better-performing zooms. In Bob Atkins' test of it, it kicked the butt of the Canon 50mm 1.8 EF-II in the straight-into-the-sun flare test...blew the prime lens away...

Sigma has made multiple variants of the 24-70mm f/2.8, ranging from "cheap" to "mid" to "high-priced"...the most recent Sigma 24-70/2.8 was priced so high I laughed when it hit the market...seriously...Sigma has in its latest go-round, reached the ridiculous in terms of how many dollars they expect people to cough up for their yellow-imparting lenses...I know Canon and Nikon have raised prices on their top-level "pro zooms", but with those you at least have real,significant re-sale, whereas with Sigma it's,with some lenses, like trying to sell used roofing shingles...

Yes, I was rather surprised when I looked at saw that Sigma's new 24-70mm is $900 or something like that. I bought the Tamron 28-75 used, but even brand new it's a bargain at less that $500.

In a tight budget, I'd probably go with a used Tamron or Sigma. Someone else has/is taken the used price hit. If it works for you, then, great. If not, it'll get you through until you can find a good 24-70 L used or have the $ to buy new.

Get the lens that fits you (be tamron or sigma f/2.8) and your way of life. No one will ever be able to tell you which type lens you have used for a specific photograph, no one. Just learn how to use it properly. I put this out to any photo gurus out there, they have never been able to differentiate between a tamron/sigma or canon L glass any of the photograph I have taken. And have used them all.

The Sigma is the sharpest, followed by the Canon, then the Tamron.

Most reactions

Back