Sigma service - 1000 times thumbs up!

samal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just wanted to share how satisfied I am with Sigma service.

My Sigma EX 18-50 f/2.8 Macro broke about 2 weeks ago - zoom ring started making grinding noises and got stuck.

I called and found out that EX line of Sigma has 4 years warranty, so I went online, filled in order form and sent the lens off prepared to wait for long time.

Well, to my surprise, in 2 days after the lens arrived to their receiving dock, it was repaired and shipped back to me! I got it back in total of 12 days, the order progress is traceable online with all the tech's comments and description of repairs. Lens was cleaned and very nicely packed and arrived safely to my door yesterday

I tested it and it works like new. Huge thumbs up to Sigma service department!

That is good to hear. Actually, I don't think that Sigma gets their bad rap from service....its what the let go out the door after manufacturing. Its good news though. I have never had a problem with my Sigma lenses, but its still good to hear.

I don't think that Sigma gets their bad rap from service....its what the let go out the door after manufacturing.

Sigma had a bad rep for many years becuase they were releasing a few bad lenses that mostly back focused a TON, but in the last 3 years, they have cleaned up shop and done a stellar job on releasing quality lenses that are market leaders, often ones that easily often beat the top of the line OEM lenses (examples would include the 18-50 DC EX HSM Macro being one, the Sigma 15mm F/2.8 fisheye, the Sigma 105mm F/2.8 macro being another and lately, the 50mm F/1.4 EX DG HSM that I just ordered a couple of hours ago is a fourth example... all beat top of the line Nikkor lenses in reviews, tests and comparisons by photo magazines, reviewers and most importantly, owners).

Sigma is turning into a very viable 3rd party company to look at for lenses.

I agree Jerry, but from 50 1.4 owners, 70% (roughly) get a good copy the first time. That is not acceptable. I still want one, but my new Canon 50 1.4 is pretty darn good. Not Sigma good, but it was gift from the wife. The Sigmalux is a killer though.

I agree Jerry, but from 50 1.4 owners, 70% (roughly) get a good copy the first time. That is not acceptable. I still want one, but my new Canon 50 1.4 is pretty darn good. Not Sigma good, but it was gift from the wife. The Sigmalux is a killer though.

In the Canon world, I did no research on that, but I know that there is not one complaint that can be found on the this new Sigma in the Nikon mount. It clearly beats the new 50mm F/1.4 Nikkor that came out about the same time in faster focus times, sharper images corner to corner, but the bokeh to some is more pleasing with the Nikkor.

Now, if you want to talk quality 50mm lenses for Canon... why aren't you looking at that Canon 50mm F/1.2L? Now, this lens has a true love/hate relationship with Canon people... and it does have a bad rep for falling apart (weak construction for an "L" lens), but OMG, when you have someone that knows how to use it, use it right... it's magic!

I cannot justify the cost of the 50L Jerry. 50mm is not a focal length I use a whole lot thus far. I think the Sigma is magic myself. And my impressions are the same as yours, its a killer lens. I am only referring to Sigma's quality control on that particular lens. On other forums, its about a 70% average of people that get a great copy the first time around. Roughly 30% get a copy with focus issues, softness, or crazy fringing. However, it appears that no one is really having any problems getting Sigma to repair/replace those lenses. Just an inconvienence and perhaps some excess shipping charges. I will not argue that its a killer lens.

I guess I've been lucky. I have multiple Sigma lenses (10-20mm f/4.5-5.6, 50-150mm f/2.8, 100-300mm f/4) and, knock wood, have been happy with all of them.

I guess I've been lucky. I have multiple Sigma lenses (10-20mm f/4.5-5.6, 50-150mm f/2.8, 100-300mm f/4) and, knock wood, have been happy with all of them.

I have 2, and both are great as well. I wonder if folks are not just expecting too much out of a 50mm lens wide open. I mean, that is where the Sigma shines, but its not a perfect world. It creates fantastic out-of-focus background blur and it looks pretty good wide open. By f/4 its a wash or even Canon and Nikkor edging it out. If you like wide open shooting, its the right lens for the job. Its also huge, which I rather like.

Take all this as comments from someone who doesn't actually own the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 I have done extensive reading as I find it a very interesting lens, especially being a third party.

I rented the Sigma 50 1.4 for a day, but only had the Nikon 50 1.8 to compare it to (pbviously there was no real competition... lol), but I know two people that live within 2 hours drive from me that own both the new Nikkor and Sigma lenses (Nikon mounts only, obviously... lol), they're both ebaying the Nikkor 50 and keeping the Sigma 50.

I hear the same stories a few times online too. It is always close but it is always the Sigma edging out the Nikkor. In the Canon camp, I read a few times about either slow focusing or some back focus issues with the Sigma 50

Once I get it in a couple of weeks, I will post a few shots and let you know how it works. If I can convince them to make the 2 hour trip from Ottawa and if they still have the Nikkor 50, we may have a chance to put them head to head on the same camera/day/conditions/subjects and see what is what.

Sounds good Jerry, I am always up for new photos from that lens. Perhaps you'll allow us to suggest some shooting conditions once you get the lens and some free time. To see how it performs in our own type of shooting situations.

Perhaps you'll allow us to suggest some shooting conditions once you get the lens and some free time. To see how it performs in our own type of shooting situations.

It would be my pleasure!

Most reactions

Back