Sigma vs. Tokina quality

dioptic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking at a 28-70 2.8 lens for a 20D. The Sigma has a DG (digital) rating while the Tokina does not. They are about $100 different in price.

Two questions:

1. Is there generally a quality difference (dust entering, durablity, etc.) in these two products?
2. Does the DG (digital) rating make a difference?

Thanks.

dioptic
user_online.gif

I know very little about either of these lenses..... however, I post a lot on wwwfredmiranda.com and I find that there are many more pro's on that site that give very helpful advice. I would check out their review section and then ask over there as well.

I have a 28-70 At-X from Tokina that is pretty good. On photodo.com it gets a better rating than the Sigma 28-70 2.8

I own two sigmas (28-70 mm zoom, 75-300mm zoom/macro) and so far, (knocks on wood) they have held up very nicely and take great pictures

Rapala46 said:
I own two sigmas (28-70 mm zoom, 75-300mm zoom/macro) and so far, (knocks on wood) they have held up very nicely and take great pictures
You ever tried other lenses?

yes, i have tried the kit lens that i had a choice of taking, and didnt like it at all. Why do you ask?

probably because the reason you thought the lenses were good was because you only had tried cheap lenses before and had not used more expensive lenses. what you consider great might not be that great when compared to higher quality equipment. it's relative.

thebeginning said:
probably because the reason you thought the lenses were good was because you only had tried cheap lenses before and had not used more expensive lenses. what you consider great might not be that great when compared to higher quality equipment. it's relative.
Yes, sums it up quite nicely.

I'm not trying to start anything. There's nothing wrong with consumer lenses at all and I've recently seen a gallery of awesome pictures shot with a Drebel and Tamron 28-300 which simply floored me. That lens is widely considered to be low contrast POS, but the composition is good and the choice of subjects is decent... and that makes art.

BTW: is that the sigma 28-70 f/2.8-4 or 28-70 f/2.8 EX ?

I know... I know... I have equipment fetish.

thebeginning said:
and had not used more expensive
Not necessarily more expensive. Any "slow prime" would probably be cheaper and will certainly give better results.

Most reactions

Back