Silhouette During Sunset

BrandonS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.topspeedphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was originally trying out the star effect on the sun I read about in another thread. I posted a color version in there that wasn't really editted. I fooled around with it and decided to do B&W and crop it. I'm not sure which one I like. I'm leaning towards the one w/out the sun in it. I'm still new to photography so any C&C is welcome. Thanks for looking.

DSC_1394r-1.jpg

DSC_1394ar.jpg

I personally like the second one better. When the sun is in there, it's the first thing my eyes are drawn to. I'd assume that you want the silhouetted people to be the focal point, so I think it's better without the bright object distracting from it.

Definitely better without the sun!
Sometimes it works to include two focal points to build up some tension, but not in this case, I think.

I concur with the previous posters, think the one without the sun is the better of the two.

Thanks; the more I look at them I like the second more too. Any suggestions on composition, exposure, etc? I'm fairly new to this. I shot like 20 some pictures and I only liked two of them.

While the effect on the sun is an interesting one (star-shape), it distracts a lot from your intended subject in the top photo just because it is the brightest spot, and our eyes invariably wander to the bright spots first.

So yes, the second of these two it is, though the second alone - so I feel - is too dark in and by itself. Plus I find it's a pity their heads blend in with the far bank of the lake...

While the effect on the sun is an interesting one (star-shape), it distracts a lot from your intended subject in the top photo just because it is the brightest spot, and our eyes invariably wander to the bright spots first.

So yes, the second of these two it is, though the second alone - so I feel - is too dark in and by itself. Plus I find it's a pity their heads blend in with the far bank of the lake...

I see what your saying about their heads. Maybe I can play with the tones a bit and at least fix the overall "darkness". I think I have a tendancy towards darker pictures for some reason.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I like the second one better. In the first one, the sun is sort of distracting, drawing me away from the silhouette. Without the sun, I think it's perfect.

I'll have to agree that the 2nd is better, but I think a lower angle would have worked better. That way you get a full silhouette against the lighter background. Looks a bit underexposed as well. Overall good shot with nice composition. Keep up the good work.

Most reactions

Back