Silly question.

Nef

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all. I finally purchased my first DSLR, the Nikon D5100. I am learning about aperture, shutter speed, ISO. but have a question about the way my camera is acting. When using auto, upon taking a picture the flash pops up and snaps a picture. I then tried experimenting and changing it to aperture priority mode. With low light, the flash didn't pop up, and it actually would take like 30 seconds for the camera to snap a picture. Being a total newbie to DSLR's, is this a normal reaction of the camera? It feels like the camera hangs up and freezes for 30 seconds.

Thank you for the help :)

It is. Canon cameras will do the same in their "green box" mode.

When you shift into aperture priority, the camera won't deploy the flash, but will automatically determine the exposure time for whatever f-stop you've selected. So, if it's dark, the shutter's going to stay open long enough for a "proper" exposure...

Yes. The shutter is going to be open to try to get as much light to the sensor. Normally the pop up flash would take care of that.

yes.. normal behavior.

In AUTO the camera sees a dark room, and says POP-up the flash... The camera is in control!

In Aperture Priority.. YOU are in control.. not the camera. So you will get a very long exposure unless you pop the flash up... and if you look in the viewfinder, you will see your meter flashing (Saying " PUT the FLASH up, it is too dark in here! It will be underexposed / long shutter speed!")

Thank you all for the help. I'll continue looking through the forums for help :)

Reading the complete user's manual, which is a PDF file on the software disc that was included with your new D5100, will also help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back