Silos | B&W | Long(ish) Exposure + Some Steam

MichaelHenson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, my dad and I pass this spot on our way to our hunting spot (it's about 45 minutes from his house) and every time I see it I want a pic. A couple weeks ago, I made it happen. It was evening, fully dark, and I'd brought along my tripod to get a longer exposure than I could handhold. There was some steam coming out of one of the pipe thingies that added some cool texture to the right hand side of the shot...Anyway, love to hear your thoughts!

BTW, it's kind of on a bit of a hill so if the shadow at the bottom looks to be crooked, I don't think it is? I used the lines on the side of the silo for my vertical reference...not sure if that's the proper approach but tis the one I used. :)

I like it. Compositionally, it is well balanced and the contrast is interesting. The only comment I would make is that I think it is a bit closely cropped. If it isn't cropped, then I would have taken one with a bit more space around the edges, particularly the bottom or foreground edge, but if you like it the way it is, then that is all that counts

WesternGuy

I also like it. Agree with WG on the crop though...

I have versions without the crop that I can post later. I cropped it this way to keep it balanced/uniform. Basically, on three sides (top, left, and bottom) it's black, but on the right side there's a road that's about 15 feet from the tree on the right hand edge. I cropped it close on that side so the lights from cars passing wouldn't be seen on the ground or right hand edge of the frame. I guess I could do some darkening on that side and expand the crop a bit. I'll play it with some and see how that turns out.

Nice. I like it as is.

Nice controlled exposure and contrast..well done. Although I do agree with the tight crop comments, I think we've all been in a position where the necessary crop may not be quite ideal. Sometimes you have to work with what you have.

Bloody great photo. Looks like a very eerie place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back