Silver Efex Pro 2

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How many of you use this software and what do you think are its advantages or disadvantages in relation to Lightroom? I am reading a book which places a lot emphasis on using it alongside Lightroom and I would like to know your thoughts on this software in terms of learning curve, user friendliness, and efficiency.

I haven't used it, but as far as I can see from the results it produces it's a device for making you focus on the wrong things.

It seems to be adored by people who love mucking around with the technical. Do you want to reproduce the look of TriX film? Do you wish your skies were jet black, and your clouds fluffy white? Do you want precise control over b&w conversion with a million sliders, knobs, and dials? Then this is the software for you!

I have it, but I don't use it too often. For monochrome conversions, I actually prefer Tiffen's DFx suite.

It does the best B&W conversions I've seen.

They have a free trial. Why not download it and form your own opinion.

I haven't used it, but as far as I can see from the results it produces it's a device for making you focus on the wrong things.

It seems to be adored by people who love mucking around with the technical. Do you want to reproduce the look of TriX film? Do you wish your skies were jet black, and your clouds fluffy white? Do you want precise control over b&w conversion with a million sliders, knobs, and dials? Then this is the software for you!
Thanks for your input! What is your prefered method and software for b&w conversion?

I have it and use it. It is very user friendly and has so many options. I would recommend.

I have it. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. It really just depends on the results I want from the conversion. You can do everything the software can do in photoshop, but it requires more steps. This can be desirable if you want some of the effects, but not all of them. It's also very handy that it comes with colored filters. Just like the darkroom, you can use colored filters on to adjust tones. That is probably my favorite feature. And now that Google bought out Nik, the software is much cheaper. Best way to find out is to download a trial and test it for yourself!

I can do virtually everything that Efex Pro does in PS but sometimes use it because I can try a bunch of different looks quickly and discard them quickly without the time needed in PS.

If one wants to add grain, etc and then throttle back, an Efex layer is quite convenient.

A realtively cheap tool

Most reactions

Back