Simple Photoshop question

MisplacedAngler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to take a layer, make a black and white copy, adjust the contrast/levels, and then use it as a mask on that same layer. How to I do this? I've done it 1,000 times in Gimp but can't seem to find the right way in PS.

Open the image, go to layer, duplicate layer, go image adjust-hue saturation, lower the slider to desaturate. H

Open the image, go to layer, duplicate layer, go image adjust-hue saturation, lower the slider to desaturate. H

That gets me a black and white image on another layer. How to I add that back to the original layer as a mask?

make it black and white, use magic wand to select the black, right click to select similar, then create layer mask with the selection?

That gets me a black and white image on another layer. How to I add that back to the original layer as a mask?

Ctrl+A to select all on the B&W layer.
Ctrl+C to copy that layer.

Go to the channels panel.
Click the new channel icon at the bottom to create a new channel.
Click on that channel to make it active.
Ctrl-V to copy the B&W image onto the new channel.

To make that into a mask:
Ctrl-click the new channel to create a selection (marching ants)
Go back to the layers panel.
Click on the layer where you want the mask
Click the new mask icon at the bottom of the layers pane.

SECOND way (if you don't want to save the B&W image as a channel):

Ctrl+A on the B&W layer.
Ctrl+C to copy it.
Click on the layer where you want the mask.
Click the new layer icon at the bottom to create a mask.
Alt-click on the mask.
Ctrl+V to paste the B&W image onto the mask.

Thanks for the help everyone. I've got it figured out now. It seems so contrived to perform this task in photoshop. It's actually much easier and gimp and you can control the contrast more in gimp on the black and white layer. I figured photoshop would have something a lil' better since it costs a few $$$$ and gimp is freeware. Here is the photo I used this technique on. I'm pretty happy the way it turned out.

5076472839_85ea5683f5_b.jpg

Photo looks nice...

Do you have a before and after?

Just as a "for what it's worth" (possibly nothing), here are a few things I would do differently ...

1. Tone the blue way down.
2. Open the shadow details a bit more.
3. Take the blue cast out of the shadows.
4. Sharpen for details.

lakescene2.jpg

lakescene.jpg

Photo looks nice...

Do you have a before and after?

I used the first three to make the fourth and the fourth picture is what I modified to get the picture above. I actually like the fourth picture a lot but it was more about a lesson in photoshop than making the image better. Plus, I kinda wanted to see what the saturated blue look would turn out like.

5081955392_eb401ebff4.jpg

5081357585_71a5a24bcc.jpg

5081953476_ac7b4cfb18.jpg

5030266555_3b9a59a22d.jpg

Im very new to this, but in editing, do you edit on your own preferences or is there a happy medium that everyone follows? Are there like guidelines or something?

Most reactions

Back