Since there has been a lot of frame talke recently...

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I have started making large prints as money allows and I'm going to get a booth (if i can afford it ) at the winter autoshow to try and drum up some business. Origonally I was going to get diffrent various frames some then like a metal print, maybe a canvas, just to show varying looks of my photos. Now i'm wondering if it would be a cleaner and more professional look to have all the frames matching, little bit more uniformity to my display. Not sure which way to go on this one. I can see advantages to both.

A frame is often chosen to go with the decor in the room the work will hang.

Image content often influences what media an image is printed on. Not all images look good on canvas, or metallic paper.
Not all images look good with a matte finish, or a lustre finish either.

One of the service I provided my clients was helping them choose the presentation that worked best for whatever images they wanted framed.

And that was my origonal intent, different frames, diffrent photo options, letting peole see what is available, then on the other hand i'm there selling myself as an auto photographer more then anything else, so large black stand, black frames and let the work standout....

Okay, so I have started making large prints as money allows and I'm going to get a booth (if i can afford it ) at the winter autoshow to try and drum up some business. Origonally I was going to get diffrent various frames some then like a metal print, maybe a canvas, just to show varying looks of my photos. Now i'm wondering if it would be a cleaner and more professional look to have all the frames matching, little bit more uniformity to my display. Not sure which way to go on this one. I can see advantages to both.

You should read the book Marketing Fine Art Photography by Alain Briot
Marketing Fine Art Photography: Alain Briot: 9781933952550: Amazon.com: Books

After reading it you may rethink wanting try and sell at art shows etc.

The book also makes it vary clear that you are not going to sell a whole lot of large framed peaces, it is the matted peaces that are 8x10 and 11x14 and not in frames are the things that sell best.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

You should read the book Marketing Fine Art Photography by Alain Briot
Marketing Fine Art Photography: Alain Briot: 9781933952550: Amazon.com: Books

After reading it you may rethink wanting try and sell at art shows etc.

The book also makes it vary clear that you are not going to sell a whole lot of large framed peaces, it is the matted peaces that are 8x10 and 11x14 and not in frames are the things that sell best.

I don't plan on selling any work, I plan on showing off my work to generate automotive photoshoots. i'll be at a car show with my demographic buyer plus the 50,000 people who happen to be at the show.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For display purposes at the show, a cohesive look is best, all in the same (or at least similar) frame. If your display is uniform, the focus will be on your photographs, whereas if you have various displays, that will distract from your photos.

However, it is not a bad idea at all to have some samples on hand of other display options for potential clients to view, like the metal prints or canvases. Just keep those off to the side and show them off when you get into a conversation with someone. Depending on the clients (I am not too familiar with this niche), do you have some display examples (pictures of)?

The idea is to sell your service first, then add on all the extras. Kind of like the "but wait, there's more!" idea.

and this was my thought process for doing similar frames. simple black metal frame possibly. so they blend in with the stand and the photos take a more prominent role. don't really have any photos. its going to be a 10x10 booth. so going to have a 10' wide by about 8' high black metal mesh piece across the back that I will hange all my photos on with my logo in the middle, hopefully a waist high table with a couple chairs, business cards, and some type of handout folder nice flyer with general info.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back