Since when has photography become a retirement hobby?!

Atlas77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright its not much of a photography rant but its close. Me and my freind were in the magazine store when he pointed out the photography magazines (knowing that im into photography) hes like "so..... why do you like photography.. because its like a retirement hobby!" he kept bugging me throughout the day and my argument is you can do it from when your born to when you die. its like saying art is for retirement! I think hes definetly wrong.

He is wrong, but photography often changes at retirement. An enthusiast who works hard at his/her day job often does not spend the time he/she would like on photography. After retirement, they buy that new camera, lenses etc. and spend a lot more time with shooting.

In the case of pros, if your work was strictly public relations or portraits, then at retirement you get your chance to venture into other areas such as travel photography, wildlife etc., which you may prefer. Shooting grandkids becomes another activity.

skieur

Seems an unusual viewpoint I must admit. I've been interested in photography since my late teens, but like skieur says, there often isn't the time to devote to it that I might like. On the off chance that I make retirement age, I'm sure I'll spend more time at it.

yeah i agree that it becomes a different thing as you move into retirement photography but anyone can do it and its not just a retirement hobby for old people i belive its a way of art in some cases, i agree that when you retire your most likely to go into a different style of photography.

This thread isn't about photography. It's about how friends sometimes rib each other. If he hadn't seen that headline (or whatever) he would have found something else to bug you about

Why did the magazine use that cover line? To try and catch the attention of retired folks, and get them to buy the mag. Paper media's strongest audience is older folks. The rest of us are doing our reading online.

I have to agree - there are very few publications in shops now (mags) that are worth paying for when you can get all the info and more online. Its a shame as I do like reading paper media far more than internet, but so many mags are now so filled with ads that they become very difficuilt to read.

Why did the magazine use that cover line?

I can't actually see anywhere in the original post that suggests it was a magazine headline that started this (though it could have been). I agree that it's about friends finding an angle to rib one another about, but I get the sense that the viewpoint expressed originated elsewhere. Perhaps the OP could expand a little on where his friend got his opinion from.

Everything is a retirement hobby. Your friend just doesn't understand hobbies in general from the sound of it. I know someone who is 87 and is off getting a degree in mathematics. Studying at uni is his retirement hobby.

I can't actually see anywhere in the original post that suggests it was a magazine headline that started this (though it could have been). I agree that it's about friends finding an angle to rib one another about, but I get the sense that the viewpoint expressed originated elsewhere. Perhaps the OP could expand a little on where his friend got his opinion from.

it was his original opinion about photography i have no clue were he got it from to me its quite ridiculous that he could label something he hasnt done his reasearch on.

Everything is a retirement hobby. Your friend just doesn't understand hobbies in general from the sound of it. I know someone who is 87 and is off getting a degree in mathematics. Studying at uni is his retirement hobby.

Cool. If that is what people do when they retire... I want to become a professional gigolo when I retire at around 75-80. I figure one client, once a year... not a bad way to make that spare 5 bucks! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, when I retire, I am pretty sure that photography will be a big part of my life afterward. Too much fun to drop so a GREAT hobby!

Seriously, when I retire, I am pretty sure that photography will be a big part of my life afterward. Too much fun to drop so a GREAT hobby

Yeah thats why i like it you can do it all your life! I know when im older im gonna drop snowboarding and biking but photography will still be in my life

I have to agree - there are very few publications in shops now (mags) that are worth paying for when you can get all the info and more online. Its a shame as I do like reading paper media far more than internet, but so many mags are now so filled with ads that they become very difficuilt to read.
I also used to like reading the mags but as you said they are so filled with ads. I hate fishing through a bunch of ads to finish an article. I think that is another reason many of the print media are seeing declining readership. They love to blame the internet but, it is also a case of their way of stacking the magazine with so many ads.
Well if I get to retire then I will travel alot more and, shoot alot more. The way the construction industry is now though I may indeed get more time. Now I need to go rob a bank so I have the money. :lol:
Got to love Murphys Law.

Most reactions

Back