Single car accident

Nice capture but hopeful the person or persons is ok.From the look of the third photo he or she looks bloody.

Nice capture but hopeful the person or persons is ok.From the look of the third photo he or she looks bloody.

Thanks, talking to one of the police afterwards he said that there was really no serious injury to the man, but he did have a "pretty good busted chin"

Great pics. Glad the person wasn't more seriously injured.

I know it's legal to photograph these scenes but does one need some kind of 'press i.d.' or some other kind of journalist credentials? Is calling oneself a freelance journalist sufficient? I'm interested in doing a little photojournalism and don't want to get in trouble.

Also I'm in Canada so laws may be different. Appreciate any info or ideas on where to find such information. I'm afraid asking the authorities will just get their defences up.

Thanks.

I know it's legal to photograph these scenes but does one need some kind of 'press i.d.' or some other kind of journalist credentials? Is calling oneself a freelance journalist sufficient? I'm interested in doing a little photojournalism and don't want to get in trouble.

Also I'm in Canada so laws may be different. Appreciate any info or ideas on where to find such information. I'm afraid asking the authorities will just get their defences up.

Thanks.

I don't know about Canada. I'm in the Buffalo, NY area and I know for us in my small town we don't allow press into any scene if possible. We hold a press conference and inform the media. With that said, we can't control all scenes and sometimes people are able to get close enough to grab photos of wrecks. The police don't usually prevent photos from being taken from a distance but, we usually secure the scene from anyone getting too close. This is especially true if the scene is a fatal.
Again this is my towns/departments position on photographing such events.

Thanks.

I did have journalist credentials but was hardly ever asked for them.Vest and multiple cameras I guess was enough LOL. In most cases here in Maryland as long as you're not in the way, they will leave you alone, depending on their mood.
After the 2002 F-4 tornado hit LaPlata, I got there 20 minutes after the storm passed and did get ask for credentials and was allowed to stay, which was great because I was the only photographger there at the time! Next morning was another story!

I suppose if you look and act professional you should be left alone as a freelancer (which I am now) But if you are ask to leave politely do so. Also as a freelancer you could find magazines that use these type images and ask for there photo guidelines and let the authoritys know you are shooting freelance for example 911 magazine. This works for me.

Last edited:
Close to home! I have ties to PGPD, PGFD & Waldorf VFD (Stn 12).

Definitely tells a story! Glad it wasn't serious.

Thanks.

I don't know about Canada. I'm in the Buffalo, NY area and I know for us in my small town we don't allow press into any scene if possible. We hold a press conference and inform the media. With that said, we can't control all scenes and sometimes people are able to get close enough to grab photos of wrecks. The police don't usually prevent photos from being taken from a distance but, we usually secure the scene from anyone getting too close. This is especially true if the scene is a fatal.
Again this is my towns/departments position on photographing such events.

I guess that's the line, "...we don't allow press into any scene if possible." I can understand this. You can't be tripping over reporters. The trick is to stay outside of the scene and try to get the pics.

Thanks for the insight.

Thanks.

I did have journalist credentials but was hardly ever asked for them.Vest and multiple cameras I guess was enough LOL. In most cases here in Maryland as long as you're not in the way, they will leave you alone, depending on their mood.
After the 2002 F-4 tornado hit LaPlata, I got there 20 minutes after the storm passed and did get ask for credentials and was allowed to stay, which was great because I was the only photographger there at the time! Next morning was another story!

I suppose if you look and act professional you should be left alone as a freelancer (which I am now) But if you are ask to leave politely do so. Also as a freelancer you could find magazines that use these type images and ask for there photo guidelines and let the authoritys know you are shooting freelance for example 911 magazine. This works for me.

Note to self; buy a vest and second camera. :)

I'm between the mall and Westlake.

Most reactions

Back