Sister-in-law (3 shots)

jdunphy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jacobdunphy.com
My wife's little sister was in town for the weekend. As it is with every houseguest we have now, I coerce them to sit for me. It wasn't that hard to talk her into a quick "session" and you can see that she had some fun. :)

I've never taken pictures of a "kid" (12 yr old) before. Any input would be helpful.

tiara1.jpg

tiara2.jpg

tiara3.jpg

Wow, when I first saw these photos I was certain she was between 20-25, and when you said 12 I was shocked. She looks so much older then what she really is. That might just be because she is such a natural in front of the camera.

Of these three, the first is my favourite simply due to the sincere smile and composition. Were you using window light or studio lights because the light/shadow ratio looks wonderful from my end.

(Mind you, this is all coming from someone inexperienced with portraiture) but it looks great to me.

Great use of light, these are fantastic. I agree, I thought much older than 12!

Peanuts said:
Were you using window light or studio lights because the light/shadow ratio looks wonderful from my end.

What's a ratio? :p

Actually, its just a speedlight shot through a white umbrella. I was actually only shooting around 1/32 and a fairly open aperature, around 5.6 or so would be my guess. Everything just balanced itself. :)

btw... I love, love, LOVE my 85mm f1.8. I got it a couple months ago, and since then it has definitely become my very favorite lens. Then again, its also the most expensive lens I own. :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back