Sitting Bird (C&C)

shelby16

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would love any comments on this. :) I am also hoping to find out what kind of bird this is. The cute bird was sitting outside looking at his own reflection. Took this through the glass! I'm a Nikon D5100 user, just of a few weeks.
Thanks,
Shelby

CLICK TO ENLARGE

$_DSC0014.jpg

$_DSC0004.jpg

$yellow.jpg

bird1.jpg

I still recommend that you stop centering your images. All three of them are dead center. Let them look at the center of the image, not be the center of the image.

Also you needed more depth of field to get his beak in focus. The eyes are perfect, and that is the preferred point for sharp focus, but it works much better when the entire face is in sharp focus.

Here's a Hummingbird from a similar angle. I focused on the eyes also but made sure I had enough aperture to get the entire head in focus. I think it makes a big difference.

2012-09-02-17.jpg

I still recommend that you stop centering your images. All three of them are dead center. Let them look at the center of the image, not be the center of the image.

Also you needed more depth of field to get his beak in focus. The eyes are perfect, and that is the preferred point for sharp focus, but it works much better when the entire face is in sharp focus.

Here's a Hummingbird from a similar angle. I focused on the eyes also but made sure I had enough aperture to get the entire head in focus. I think it makes a big difference.

I love your hummingbird shot!! Yes, your edit is much better off to the side a little. Gah this is my weak spot. I'm so bad at off centering.

Do you prefer to not shoot in aperture priority? That's what I did.

I love your hummingbird shot!! Yes, your edit is much better off to the side a little. Gah this is my weak spot. I'm so bad at off centering.

It varies. I shoot in aperture priority most of the time, but shoot in shutter priority or manual when the shot needs it. Generally it depends on what aspect is more important, holding a shutter speed or holding an aperture or holding both. Still birds, wildlife that isn't moving fast, things like that I use aperture priority because I'm more concerned with the depth of field. Birds in flight, motorsports, anything fast-moving I use shutter priority or manual because I need to know that my shutter speed isn't getting too slow.

It varies. I shoot in aperture priority most of the time, but shoot in shutter priority or manual when the shot needs it. Generally it depends on what aspect is more important, holding a shutter speed or holding an aperture or holding both. Still birds, wildlife that isn't moving fast, things like that I use aperture priority because I'm more concerned with the depth of field. Birds in flight, motorsports, anything fast-moving I use shutter priority or manual because I need to know that my shutter speed isn't getting too slow.
Perfect explanation. Thank you. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back