Sitting on the dock by the bay......

Wally

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Doing a little fishing. Taken with a Cann DSLR and a Lensbaby 2 lens

116633108_a93baaf6c5_o.jpg

Needs a bit more contrast(I am no pro) but its a cool pic.

Another nice one from the Wally. I agree that it looks a little dull though. Maybe some levels and curves? What am I saying, Wally is the PS master, he must have wanted it this way. I like the mood.

thanks everyone, it was a cold dreary day which is what I was trying to capture here. On a nice day this place would be wall to wall with people fishing, on this day with 32 degree weather (0 for all you metric types) and gusty winds only one brave soul was out.

i like this shot as is too... gives it a "dreary" and "lonely" feeling IMO. Nice shot! :thumbup:

I love the feeling of the picture too... but there are 3 little things I have noticed

1- Maybe you didn't noticed, but your horizon is ''dead on'' in the center. I have been thought that you should always put your horizon according to your rule of thirds.

2- a little bit too much dead space on top. maybe if you would have croped it so your horizon would be at 2/3 of the image, you wouldn't have that problem..

3- contrast like the others said

it's not me bitchin.. don't take it personally matey. :)

edit: I hope you don't mind, but took the liberty to crop it myself to see.... I hope it doesn't violate any rules or ''unwritten rules''.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Tranceplant since this is a square format image the rule of thrids does not really apply to verticals only horizontals and I cropped it that way on purpose. (besides rules were meant to be broken) If you notice the focal point of the image is the man fishing and he is 1/3 of the way from the right and a little below dead center. You will also notice that the sidewalk in the foreground will guide the eye right towards that spot.

You will also notice multiple horizontal lines in this image that compliment each other. The first one is a line of darker clouds in the sky, followed by the top of the trees, followed by the edge of the water, followed by lines in the sidewalk. Not trying to pick on you just wanted to share why I framed and took the picture this way. Back in the old days I used to shoot a lot of 6x6 medium format film and I still like the square format and will shoot with my 2:3 ratio DSLR with the intent to crop back to 1:1 ratio in photoshop.

Also for the record while I really don't care you edited my copyrighted photo a lot of people here would take great offense to someone editing a copyrighted photo and posting it with out permission.

As for the supposed lack of contrast I guess I fail to see why people are saying that? A check of the histogram will show a full range of 256 shades of gray from black to white, which is what a good B&W image should have.

This was a dreary, misty day and this is just what it looked like. To boost the contrast in photoshop would destroy that feel. If I would have shot it on film and developed it in my darkroom it would have looked just like this which is what I want.

Again not trying to flame anyone, or pick on anyone just trying to expand the free flow of ideas and images here. I think that digital and photoshop is a great thing but it is causing people to focus to much on "rules" and altering reality, and less on art and feelings.

Wally (getting of his soapbox now)

Nice capture. I like the gloomy look to the pic. I captures the feel of the day. The lensbaby added a nice touch to it. Well done Wally.

Wally said:
thanks everyone, it was a cold dreary day which is what I was trying to capture here. On a nice day this place would be wall to wall with people fishing, on this day with 32 degree weather (0 for all you metric types) and gusty winds only one brave soul was out.

Its dull, sure, but that is what makes the shot for me. A lone fisherman on a cold dreary day.....that just spells dull. But an amazing shot. Great job.

Dull isnt always bad. Especially when it helps to portray what you are trying to get across. You did that.

I'm in the "looks perfect like it is" camp. Boo for more contrast and cropping. Nice pic!

Trey

Wally said:
Tranceplant since this is a square format image the rule of thrids does not really apply to verticals only horizontals and I cropped it that way on purpose. (besides rules were meant to be broken) If you notice the focal point of the image is the man fishing and he is 1/3 of the way from the right and a little below dead center. You will also notice that the sidewalk in the foreground will guide the eye right towards that spot.

You will also notice multiple horizontal lines in this image that compliment each other. The first one is a line of darker clouds in the sky, followed by the top of the trees, followed by the edge of the water, followed by lines in the sidewalk. Not trying to pick on you just wanted to share why I framed and took the picture this way. Back in the old days I used to shoot a lot of 6x6 medium format film and I still like the square format and will shoot with my 2:3 ratio DSLR with the intent to crop back to 1:1 ratio in photoshop.

Also for the record while I really don't care you edited my copyrighted photo a lot of people here would take great offense to someone editing a copyrighted photo and posting it with out permission.

As for the supposed lack of contrast I guess I fail to see why people are saying that? A check of the histogram will show a full range of 256 shades of gray from black to white, which is what a good B&W image should have.

This was a dreary, misty day and this is just what it looked like. To boost the contrast in photoshop would destroy that feel. If I would have shot it on film and developed it in my darkroom it would have looked just like this which is what I want.

well, I see and I understand what you wanted to do when you did that. Again, your picture has a nice feel to it and i like it. But I still don't understand why you have all this dead space on top even after what you explained here, but that's just my opinion. You say rules are meant to be broken, but sometimes they are meant to be respected too. Anywho i just croped it real quick to see and I wanted to share with others, that's why i posted the picture.

You say you don't mind me re-posting your image, yet you take the time to clearly speciafy that it is copyrighted. Obviously it sparked a little something inside of you and that is the reason why I deleted the picture in my original post. However, remember that when you post a picture on the internet on a PUBLIC forum in a section that says ''A gallery for sharing photos and getting feedback, including general critique.'' be expected that people will play around with it in photoshop or any other software (by anyone) to support their argument. Be even expected that people may download your picture with out even telling you.... If you don't want that to happen, don't post it.

Anyways, i'm sorry if i offended you by doing so, i'll make sure to ask you or anyone else next time. Again, I like the picture and I really like the feeling, but I feel there's a little something wrong with the composition... just my 2cent :meh:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back