Sizing for Gallery Wraps

dbvirago

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.brooksimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I am cropping an image for a gallery wrap, do I include the amount for the wrap? In other words, if I want a 14x14 gallery wrap, do I crop the image at 14x14 leaving dead space at the edges, or 16x16?

TIA and hope this is the right forum

Depends on what size wrap.
A LOT of labs will provide templates for you to place your image on to make sure it's got the right amount of space on the edges.

Thanks. I haven't got that far yet. The image has a lot of dead space, so I want to crop in tight, but didn't want to lose anything. This is a quick and cheap at Costco for the guy that helped me get this shot. I use them for print proofs, but haven't done a canvas - not sure what lab they use.

$Eagle Looking 9x7.jpg

I have a SmugMug account and use Bay Photo (their premium lab) and have always been satisfied...... but, I've not printed on canvas yet.

Yeah, I have a smugmug account also, but looking to go a little cheaper on this. My smugmug price would be in the $65 range and Costco is about half that. I have done several canvases at smugmug and have been happy, but I do recall having issues with the cropping.

A lot of the time a cheaper 'canvas' print means the print is on textured plastic, not actual canvas.

Gallery wraps typically have a 1.5 inch wrap. You'll need to check with whatever outlet you wind up using what canvas material and wrap dimensions they use.

Thanks, once I got on there, as MLeek said, there was a template to show exactly where the wrap existed. KmH, they have several prints on display and the quality looks ok. TBH, the quality of the image isn't good enough to go crazy on the print, this is a gift for someone who helped me get the shot, has seen it, and thinks it's really great. Of course, being there when it was shot has a lot to do with his enthusiasm. I have a sharper shot of the same eagle, but he likes this so, this one it will be.
I'll try to find out who they use when I pick it up.

Most reactions

Back