Sizing the pictures

Jimyb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am using RAW to capture my pictures and am editing in Adobe Photoshop. When I am attempting to save the picture it gives me options as to which format I would like to save them (i.e. jpeg, gif etc). I am attempting to enter some of my pictures in contests and need them a certain size (2mg or larger) but when I save them they become considerably smaller than 2mg. I am unsure as to how to save them in a larger size. Any help would be appreciated.

You can't save what ain't there (well... you can, but it requires more work). Converting an .nef file to .jpg can trash up to 95% of the image data, meaning that a 10mb .nef file will wind up being a couple of hundred kb .jpg file. Ensure that your saving at the highest possible quality of .jpg ('12' in Photshop) and once you've saved it, don't edit it any further as this will cause additional data loss. Even under the best circumstances, the conversion will reduce your image size considerably. A 30+ mb .nef from my D800 can be as little as 6mb in .jpg even at the maximum quality settings.

Picture size is the pixel dimensions of the photo.

Image file size is somewhat dependent on image content.
A photo of a white wall will be a smaller file size than a photo of a landscape when both photos have the same pixel dimensions.

To reiterate what John has said, the image file size can be controlled to some extent using the Quality setting when saving a Raw file as a JPEG. Good editing applications will tell you what file size each level of Quality setting will produce.

Be sure and read the contest rules/terms.
I don't recommend submitting your photos to contests whose main, but not clearly stated, goal is to trick you into giving up your legal ownership (copyright) of your photos.
Many contests want at least a 2 Mb file size so they can use submitted photos to their advantage.

If I had a raw photo in Photoshop and was looking to save a .jpg file in a particular size I would first bring up Image - Image Size in PS and set the size I want the print to be , such as 4"X6" or whatever, and change the pixels/inch to 72 (or 300 for printing). Next step would be a "Save As" to .jpg. When the window comes up I change the Quality to whatever gives me the file size needed. I would change any of the mentioned items if needed to get the size. Look at the final saved .jpg file to see if it looks OK.
Carefully DO NOT SAVE the changed file.

If they want a minimum size, that means they want as high a quality as you can manage to provide. They want free use of the image, probably without even recognizing you as the photographer. That goes whether you win the "contest" or not; submit it, it's not yours any more, ever again. Even if they don't restrict your own use of the image, you have no control over their use of it. They might sell 1 million post cards with it, and you don't get a thing for it.

Most reactions

Back