Sky Banding Help

T5iDesign

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can someone toss me some ideas to fix this awful banding I'm having with this sky? I looked up a few tuts and did the "Spatter" filter technique but didn't help much. Also would love some critique!

Looks like the result of low file size; what file format are you shooting in and how are you saving for web?

Are you shooting in raw or JPEG? I've seen posterizing like that in JPEG files when you try to pull shadows or exposure in post

Your photo lacks sufficient bit depth to render the gradient of colors in the sky.
JPEG has an 8-bit color depth, and 8-bits can only code 256 discreet colors per color channel (RGB - Red, Green, Blue).
Since there are 3 color channels JPEG is often said to be a 24 bit (8-bits x 3 color channels) file type
If the gradient in the sky contains more than 256 colors there are distinct borders in the areas of the sky 8-bits can't code the color of.
Raw files have a 16-bit color depth and can code 16,384 discreet colors per color channel. Like JPEG, Raw would be a 3 color channel x 16-bit = 48-bit file type.

Banding is also known as posterization. Image Posterization

PHOTO EDITING & POST-PROCESSING

Last edited:
I'm actually working in 16bit RAW. And was shot at 25oISO. I saved it out for upload as a low res jpeg but this is pretty much what it looks like in LR.

I'm actually working in 16bit RAW. And was shot at 25oISO. I saved it out for upload as a low res jpeg but this is pretty much what it looks like in LR.

What shows in the photo doesn't make sense if you're original is a CR2 or DNG file being processed in LR. If you can put the original file on dropbox be happy to take a look and might be able to help.

Joe

I agree. Canon RAW is 14 bit, but this looks like it's gone through some process that stripped it of it's bit-depth.

I believe what you are seeing is the northern lights.....

Seriously.

:biglaugh:

I'm pretty new to photography. But is it normal to get stars on a dark sky and a straight on shot of the sun like this in the same photo?

How hard have you pushed your sliders? If I push sharpening, contrast, or something else too far, it will turn out this way.

I was thinking that was likely the moon as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back