lostcase_gib

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.markgalliano.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sky b4 lunar eclipse in Gibraltar

Moon out of sight in my room, will try later...

IMG_4131_1.jpg

As I was setting up my cameras for the event, a massive cloud bank rolled in and hide the moon.

*waiting*

It's freakin freezing out there. Since I don't have a dSLR, only a Fuji S5700, and I'm new enough to photography, I've been running out and slapping the camera on the tripod trying to figure out how to get the moon in focus with my camera.

With manual focus, I loose all control over setting changes. I have to keep switching from manual focus to single auto focus to make a change as I haven't a clue what I need to shoot the moon decently (all have been by luck so far the last few full moons). I went as far as taking a shot at each aperture setting I have with changing to autofocus and back each time in the menu to try to get a good shot of the moon. I've done it before, but I can't seem to get a decent semi-sharp shot. I don't expect it to be extremely sharp with my camera, but would like it somewhat sharp.

Previous shots of the moon for me has had some nice craters on the surface. The surface facing us tonight seems to be pretty stinkin smooth this time, unless I can't get it in focus enough to see the craters.

I must have run outside 10 times now. Ready to go out again now that I'm warmed up in front of the heater for the final shooting since we are at full eclipse now (I think, without looking...)

Here's to some good shots......

Cheers.

It's freakin freezing out there. Since I don't have a dSLR, only a Fuji S5700, and I'm new enough to photography, I've been running out and slapping the camera on the tripod trying to figure out how to get the moon in focus with my camera.

With manual focus, I loose all control over setting changes. I have to keep switching from manual focus to single auto focus to make a change as I haven't a clue what I need to shoot the moon decently (all have been by luck so far the last few full moons). I went as far as taking a shot at each aperture setting I have with changing to autofocus and back each time in the menu to try to get a good shot of the moon. I've done it before, but I can't seem to get a decent semi-sharp shot. I don't expect it to be extremely sharp with my camera, but would like it somewhat sharp.

Previous shots of the moon for me has had some nice craters on the surface. The surface facing us tonight seems to be pretty stinkin smooth this time, unless I can't get it in focus enough to see the craters.

I must have run outside 10 times now. Ready to go out again now that I'm warmed up in front of the heater for the final shooting since we are at full eclipse now (I think, without looking...)

Here's to some good shots......

Cheers.
Shutter priority is your biggest thing. You can shoot the moon at ISO100 if you are using a 15-30 second shutter speed. That way you don't get the grainy effect. But unless you have a shutter priority, I know of no way to take good photos in low light. And that's of stagnant objects, if you are taking motion @ night. You better have a REALLY fast lens. f/1.5 or something right guys? I'm also an amateur, but I've made myself learn a lot since I bought my Nikon D80. It's still not what the guys here on the forums would call pro, but around my area, if you have a D80, it's called pro equipment.

I hear ya mrodgers. I too am taking a break to warm up. Had to warm my battery up once already as it started to die.
The moon is just sorta in limbo land right now.
I couldn't believe how fast it came up though. My anticipation was building and building..... and then got stuck. So I figured I'd warm myself and camera up and then head out again in a bit.

Can't wait to see everyones pics. I don't think I'm going to have the patients to see it through to the end.

Good luck everyone!!!

Shutter priority is your biggest thing. You can shoot the moon at ISO100 if you are using a 15-30 second shutter speed.
Nope, it's not a dSLR, but I do have full manual control. I am limited to longest shutter of only 4 seconds though.

I already posted this in another thread since that thread starter mentioned PA, and that's where I am. But, since I made a post here earlier, I'll toss my pic up here as well.....

Fuji S700/5700
380 mm (35 mm equiv. with quite a bit of crop)
2.0 seconds
f/3.5
ISO100

Most reactions

New Topics

Back