Slack or plainly inept?

Very good try, ZedU, however, despite the fact that "misunderstanding" is, indeed, "Missverständnis" in German (new orthography, two s because of short i-sound!), and even though there is some logic and many analogies, here it would be "Fehlübersetzung", or simply working with an adjective "falsche Übersetzung". :biggrin:

I will also always willingly spoon-feed you German bits and pieces :D!

Very good try, ZedU, however, despite the fact that "misunderstanding" is, indeed, "Missverständnis" in German (new orthography, two s because of short i-sound!), and even though there is some logic and many analogies, here it would be "Fehlübersetzung", or simply working with an adjective "falsche Übersetzung". :biggrin:

I will also always willingly spoon-feed you German bits and pieces :D!

...well, that would be much appreciated...my German is about 35 years old (I guess that goes without saying!)...so it might be in need of some serious updating...now, I heard something about some new spelling changes a few years ago...oh, well...enough sidetracking...perhaps we need to start a new thread if we're going to discuss the finer points of the German language...:mrgreen:...but I always welcome the opportunity to practice my German...

Still hijacking this thread, but this requires an immediate answer: best chance for you not only to meet some of us as real persons but ALSO to brush up your German in leaps and bounds would be the week from 24-31 May 2008, which you would want to mark in your new calendar - and then you should start looking at reasonably priced flights across the ocean and really start to make plans to come and be here! (Couldn't let such an opportunity to advertise "my" meet-up pass - sorry, OP! I don't want to be slack on that "matter of mine", see?)

...having already spent some time in Germany, and having thoroughly enjoyed the experience, if I had the money, I would certainly jump at the chance...unfortunately, I don't see that happening...:sad anim:

I have to admit I am probably the most non reading manual person in the world on or about anything. I hate reading manuals and usually by the time I read the first page I am asleep. I also seldom ask questions. I do it the hard way much to cameras dislike. I am the type that takes it out of the box, puts the battery in, throws a lens on it and starts shooting and poking the buttons, whistles and bells to see what happens.

This is why I join sites like this for I find by reading the forums and looking for certain topics and can usally find the answer to most of my questions and it may be quicker going to the manual but to me it is more fun this way .

I admit, I fall into the culprit category, but im not a culprit. I like to figure things out for myself. I dont like to ask others for help unless ive done all the research and still cant find an answer. i find that if i figure it out myself, ill remember it better and have a better understanding for future photos. But thats why we have a Newbie forum, if you dont want to see the threads, dont enter.

...I like to figure out things for myself, too, and usually I do fairly well, but I am also a firm believer in the concept of 'when all else fails, read the directions'...I will at least pull out the manual (if I have it) and look at it before I start playing with something...especially if it looks like something you could easily make a royal mess of if you don't know what you're doing...

No one "reads" manuals. That really is not normal. TLTownsend is right they are boring. But they are great references and there's an index in the back which is much faster than asking obvious technical questions on the forum.

ZedU54 if you want to try some real esoteric German check out the Swiss :lol:. I could listen and laugh at them speak German all day.

New to the sight and this is my first post, so please cut me some slack. I'm the artistic and slightly technically deficient type too. The manual has some good info, but there were some questions I had that it just seemed too vague on. You had to flip back and forth between several sections, and neither section really seemed to tell me how to do things. I stumbled on to the Digital Field Guide for my Nikon D80 and it was such a huge help! It is bigger (ie big print for my over-40 eyesight) and all pages are in full color with lots of pictures instead of little line drawings. I have learned so much more about the camera's capabilities. If the manufacturer's manual works for you, that's great! But if you are still scratching your head after reading your dog-eared manual for the fifth time, the I strongly encourage you to get a Digital Field Guide. I bought mine at overstock.com for about $13. Probably some of the best money I have spent. The author was David D. Busch and the publisher is Wiley. They also make them for some Canon models.

Not all manuals actually go into detail on what things do or how to use the settings to the best advantage etc (well the little booklet with mine didnt anyway lol) BUT it's not hard to search out info on something - either via a search engine or the search on this site. I think some people just dont like searching sometimes.....

I think some people just dont like searching sometimes.....

Which kind of leaves me wondering how they ever found this place.

As an aside to those who find manuals difficult to read, how does a computer screen make it any easier? After all, it's the same basic skill set required; assemble a few letters into words, sentences and paragraphs and so on, scan left to right, or am I missing something?

LOL Are we having fun yet kids?

OK, Everybody try this: Take a coin out of you pocket or where ever you keep them and place it on the desk or table in front of you.

Now, pretend the coin is a button.

Now, push the button.

Push it again.

Did it move? Or were you pushing it from the top down?

Sometimes the obvious answer is not the best answer and sometimes we simply lack the proper vocabulary to visualize a solution.

So, keep helping and maybe somebody you respond to will help you out of a ditch some day. ;)

No one "reads" manuals. That really is not normal.

Whatch out what you say boy! ;) I sometimes read manuals of things I do not even own or use ;)

.. on very rare occasions.

Never read my camera's manual though. think I opened it about four times.

Most reactions

Back