Slave flash?

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When a flash unit (say the new Canon 270EX) is listed as not having slave flash as a function what exactly does this mean. Does it mean that if I place it on an offcamera flash base and connected it (via cable) to say a 580M2 that the 270EX cannot be fired by that flash or that specific controls for power output won't be accessable?

I ask as the 270EX is a flash I am considering for my macro work as a lighter alternative to my 580M2 - with the 270 being placed further out on a flash braket or being freestanding - but I don't want to end up with a flash which won't connect with my existing 580M2 (for those times when I want both flashes working).

When a flash unit (say the new Canon 270EX) is listed as not having slave flash as a function what exactly does this mean. Does it mean that if I place it on an offcamera flash base and connected it (via cable) to say a 580M2 that the 270EX cannot be fired by that flash or that specific controls for power output won't be accessable?

I ask as the 270EX is a flash I am considering for my macro work as a lighter alternative to my 580M2 - with the 270 being placed further out on a flash braket or being freestanding - but I don't want to end up with a flash which won't connect with my existing 580M2 (for those times when I want both flashes working).

The 270 EX does not have any master slave communication capabilities, so no the 580 will not control the 270. For macro I am using two 580's on a twin boom flash bracket. One 580 is connected to the body via canons TTL cable and set to master and the second flash is set to slave. The only two flash units that will do that currently are the 580 and the 430. You might want to look for a used 430 unless you have use of two 580's.

now that is annoying - a 430 or a 580 I agree would work, but its getting the weight up again, which is what I wanted to avoid having. Can't understand why canon could not put the firmwire into the 270.
Your sure the 580 can't even fire the 270? even if its just exposure compensation it something (I guess).

Not that I am aware of. It was designed to be a cheap, more powerful TTL strobe with minimal features. From people I have talked to it's best use is for folks that don't want to pay for a 430 or 580, have basic TTL with more power than the built in. It also seems to be a great companion for the G10 size wise.

It's not just firm ware but some hardware as well for communication. Add that and you add to the cost, basicly making a mini 430.

strange since they did go as far as to put in manual flash control (though only for the lastest cameras sadly since its in camera menu controls). But I wanted a mini 430.
the only other option is the twinlights - and that is a lot of cost! I'll keep my eye on it though - I know one or two macro shooter have been using it so I would be interested to see how it fairs - but not allowing linkup with the other flashes is a bit of a pain.

The only way I can see using the 270 would be to get a couple of canon ttl cables and splice the two together into one head unit. Don't know if the camera could handle it or not, but it is the only ttl control that I can think of. Manually I would suspect that the thing is going to have the same issues that all of Canon's ex flashes have, not working with optical slaves. That leaves radio slaves or if you wanted to get fancy, you might be able to use radiopoppers. I don't have experience with them so I can't say.

I understand the weight issue to a point. What are you using for a macro bracket? A good bracket might be the trick to making weight a bit more manageable.

one of these design brackets:
Flash Rotating Bracket for Canon 40D 30D 5D US - eBay (item 120324730636 end time Jun-24-09 05:23:39 PDT)

I would think that if the Ettl cables would work then radio remotes would work as well since they act just like the cables - esp teh new pocketwizards. Its a nice idea and operating without cables is a great thing if your not using a bracket to hold the flash near the camera - but its a cost that I just can't justify at this stage - far more important things in my to get list - oneday I am sure, but not soon.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think that the radio remotes would work before the twin cable. Not sure about it, it was just a thought. Here is quick (and crappy) shot of my macro bracket. I love the heck out of it, especially since I got it used for $25.00. It's not made anymore and the only thing close is in the price range of a 430. (ouch) It also no longer has the Manfrotto RC2 QR head or plate on it since I have gone Arca Swiss.

regionals2008day2005qy3.jpg

yah I have seen setups like that - heck macro lighting is a minefield of choices!
I do hope to have a set of the canon twinlights which is why I really don't want to end up overpricing this other setup - looks like if I go canon its back to a single flash on a cable.
Might go back to the Sunpak RD2000- similar size but I belive it will slave (or can be made to slave)

yah I have seen setups like that - heck macro lighting is a minefield of choices!
I do hope to have a set of the canon twinlights which is why I really don't want to end up overpricing this other setup - looks like if I go canon its back to a single flash on a cable.
Might go back to the Sunpak RD2000- similar size but I belive it will slave (or can be made to slave)

I looked at the MT-24EX but it was just to pricey for me for it's limited uses. I shoot macro for fun, but it is not a main interest. The two 580's I already had and use a lot. I find that with that bracket I can do just about anything the MT-24EX does. It's just not as compact or light weight, but the price on the bracket was good.

yah the price on them is steep - but I have the addiction bad -- the MPe 65mm will be mine oneday! And even with my current gear I have experienced a definate need for that lights on feature of that flash head for aiding focusing when going beyond 2:1 macro

One 580 is connected to the body via canons TTL cable and set to master and the second flash is set to slave. The only two flash units that will do that currently are the 580 and the 430.

*eyes his 550 and its master/slave switch* Wait, what are you saying exactly? That only the 580 and 430 have master/slave capabilities? o_O

One 580 is connected to the body via canons TTL cable and set to master and the second flash is set to slave. The only two flash units that will do that currently are the 580 and the 430.

*eyes his 550 and its master/slave switch* Wait, what are you saying exactly? That only the 580 and 430 have master/slave capabilities? o_O

Actually we were talking about the current available models of Canon flashes, specifically the 270EX, the newest kid on Canon's block, not the discontinued models that include the 550EX.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back